Today on SPACE.com --- Monday, May 16, 2005 -- http://www.space.com/

/-------------------------------------
Advertisement:

New Spacecraft Films DVD chronicles success and
failure on the launch pad, from Goddard to the V-2, from Atlas to
Delta, see some of the most explosive moments in rocketry.

http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/

-------------------------------------/

In today's issue:

Science/Astronomy:
* Amateurs Get Best Look at Stellar Nursery
* The Evening Star Returns
* Mystery of Mars' Mixed Up Poles Solved
* Image of the Day: A New Titan View

Spaceflight:
* NASA Rethinks Technology Needs
* NASA Names Next Space Station Crew
* ISS Oxygen Generator Fails for Good, Station Managers Say
* ASTRONOTES: Space Tourism Group Sets Price, Date for First Suborbital Flight
* Broken Hose Prompts Fourth Launch Scrub for NOAA-N Weather Probe
* Former NASA Inspector Acquitted in Shuttle Case
* Confessions of a Space Tourism Operator
* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

NEW! LiveScience.com
* Voice of Reason: The Viaduct Virgin
* Canaries Change Their Tune
* Tech Expo Highlights Next-Gen Gadgets
* Personal Nuclear Power: New Battery Lasts 10 Years
* Flying Snakes: New Videos Reveal How They Do It
* Power of the Future: 10 Ways to Run the 21st Century
* NEW Photo Gallery: Sky Scenes
* Real Robots: VOTE for Your Favorite
* VOTING RESULTS: The Ugliest Animals

NEW! Cool Stuff:
* The Top 10 Space Imaginations at Work
* VOTE NOW: Most Amazing Galactic Images Ever
* Image Gallery: STS-114 Crew Completes Dress Rehearsal
* A SPACE.com Adventure: Launch into Zero-G!
* Voting Results: The Best of the Hubble Space Telescope
* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers
* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!
* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...
* 'Star Trek: Enterprise' Ends, Along With an Era
* After ISS, a Starship Ride for NASA Astronaut
* Documentary Provides Intimate Look at Columbia's Last Crew
* Filmmaker George Lucas Glad to Leave 'Star Wars' Behind
* Don't Panic: Hitch a Ride With the Hitchhiker's Guide
* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!

Recent Headlines:
* Launch Pad Glitch Prompts Third Delay for NOAA-N Weather Probe
* NASA Chief Pushes for Shuttle's Replacement
* Apollo 17 Commander Receives NASA's First Moon Rock Award
* Cosmos Education: Engaging, Empowering, Inspiring
* Prometheus, ISS Research Cuts Help Pay for Shuttle and Hubble Repair Bills
* Fixing NASA: Continuing Coverage of the Space Shuttle Return to Flight
* SPACE.com's Complete Coverage of the Hubble Space Telescope

Plus...

* Uplink, SPACE.com TV and NightSky
* Starry Night, TeamSETI

-----------------------------------

Science/Astronomy:

* Amateurs Get Best Look at Stellar Nursery
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050516_star_nursery.html

With the help of one of the largest telescopes in the world, a group of amateur
Canadian star watchers has produced the best ever picture of the remains of a
stellar nursery.

* The Evening Star Returns
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/050513_venus_returns.html

With each passing day, Venus has been moving on a slow course toward the east
and pulling away from the Sun's general vicinity. Now it's emerging as the
evening star.

* Mystery of Mars' Mixed Up Poles Solved
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050513_mars_mystery.html

Scientists have long wondered why Mars' southern polar cap is offset from its
geographical south pole. Now they've solved the mystery.

* Image of the Day: A New Titan View
http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/image_of_day_050516.html

Astronomers have pieced together a new look at Saturn's moon Titan using images
taken by Europe's Huygens probe.

-----------------------------------

Spaceflight:

* NASA Rethinks Technology Needs
http://www.space.com/spacenews/businessmonday_050516.html

More than $1 billion worth of human and robotic technology projects selected
for funding late last year by NASA's Exploration Systems mission directorate
are on the chopping block as the U.S. space agency re-evaluates its technology
investment strategy.

* NASA Names Next Space Station Crew
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ft_050515_exp12_crew.html

NASA plans to return the International Space Station crew to its original size
of three on the second post-Columbia shuttle mission.

* ISS Oxygen Generator Fails for Good, Station Managers Say
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ft_exp11_elektron_050514.html

A balky Russian oxygen generator broke down on the International Space Station,
but its two-man crew has a reserve air supply that would last about five
months, NASA officials said Friday.

* ASTRONOTES: Space Tourism Group Sets Price, Date for First Suborbital Flight
http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

A private space tourism firm has set both the price and timeframe for their
first passenger-carrying launch of a suborbital spacecraft.

* Broken Hose Prompts Fourth Launch Scrub for NOAA-N Weather Probe
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050513_sfn_delta2_noaan.html

Technicians at the Delta 2 rocket launch pad will spend Sunday collecting 17
inspection samples to determine if the NOAA-N spacecraft was contaminated by
hydrocarbons when a fuel vent hose accidently unhooked Friday.

* Former NASA Inspector Acquitted in Shuttle Case
http://www.space.com/news/ap_050513_nasa_inspector.html

A former NASA employee was acquitted Friday of charges he failed to properly
inspect the labor of contractors working on the space shuttle Discovery.

* Confessions of a Space Tourism Operator
http://www.space.com/news/050513_tourism_confessions.html

According to Jane Reifert, President of Incredible Adventures, Inc. there are
lessons learned that if not heeded might hold back the sky-high hopes of space
tourism operators.

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia
http://www.space.com/php/trivia/

One of Today's 5 New Questions: When exposed to zero-g how much will an average
person's waist measurement decrease?

----------------------------------

NEW! LiveScience.com
http://www.livescience.com/

* Voice of Reason: The Viaduct Virgin
http://www.livescience.com/othernews/050516_Viaduct_Virgin.html

Even Catholic church authorities do not endorse these inkblot visualizations.

* Canaries Change Their Tune
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050516_canary_songs.html

Young male canaries can be taught to sing songs that sound like video game
beeps. But wait, there's more. Once it's time to woo females with love songs,
their repertoire switches to more traditional stylings.

* Tech Expo Highlights Next-Gen Gadgets
http://www.livescience.com/technology/ap_050516_tech_gadgets.html

The PlayStation 2 is so yesterday. Xbox? Old news. And the GameCube? That's
downright retro. After years of showcasing primarily video game software, the
annual Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles highlights a new generation
of gadgets that should offer much more than blistered fingers.

* Personal Nuclear Power: New Battery Lasts 10 Years
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050513_new_battery.html

A new type of battery based on the radioactive decay of nuclear material is 10
times more powerful than similar prototypes and should last a decade without a
charge, scientists announced today.

* Flying Snakes: New Videos Reveal How They Do It
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050512_flying_snakes.html

You might not think snakes need any more tools in their box of fright tactics.
However, some of these slithering reptiles are dramatic flyers.

* Power of the Future: 10 Ways to Run the 21st Century
http://www.livescience.com/environment/top10_power_21stcentury.html

Exploring the expectations, myths and realities of 10 top energy possibilities.

* NEW Photo Gallery: Sky Scenes
http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/

The wonders and beauty of the sky captured in stunning photographs.

* Real Robots: VOTE for Your Favorite
http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/index.php?cat=robots

You decide which of these robots is the coolest!

* VOTING RESULTS: The Ugliest Animals
http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/result.php?back=&cat=uglyanimal

The results are in...Find out which member of the beautiful animal kingdom is
truly the ugliest!

----------------------------------

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* The Top 10 Space Imaginations at Work
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/top10_imaginationsatwork.html

Space.com examines the top 10 imaginations at work in a swiftly changing space
industry.

* VOTE NOW: Most Amazing Galactic Images Ever
http://www.space.com/bestimg/index.php?cat=galactic

Vote For Your Favorite Out-of-this-Universe Galactic Image.

* Image Gallery: STS-114 Crew Completes Dress Rehearsal
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/archive.php?category=se

Dress was a Success! Photos from the three-day event as the crewmembers took
part in a countdown dress rehearsal this week.

* A SPACE.com Adventure: Launch into Zero-G!
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/zerog/

All Aboard! Join us for an intense multimedia experience aboard a Zero-G
weightless flight!

* Voting Results: The Best of the Hubble Space Telescope
http://www.space.com/bestimg/result.php?back=41e56379672e2&cat=hst

The Results are in...The Best Hubble image of all time is...

* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/downloads/wallpapers/

>From the highest quality space art to intergalactic photography, find an image
>for your desktop every month of the year.

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!
http://www.space.com/php/weatherbug/

Type in your ZIP Code and hit "Go" to get your live local weather.

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!
http://www.space.com/jobs/

Imaginova and CareerBuilder.com have partnered to bring you the best in job
searching, resume posting, and online recruiting.

----------------------------------

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...
http://www.space.com/entertainment/

* 'Star Trek: Enterprise' Ends, Along With an Era
http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_050513_enterprise.html

“Star Trek: Enterprise'' is about to go where it has never gone before: off the
air, taking the “Star Trek'' franchise with it.

* After ISS, a Starship Ride for NASA Astronaut
http://www.space.com/entertainment/050513_fincke_trek.html

U.S. Air Force Lt. Colonel Michael Fincke is not just a professional NASA
astronaut; he also plays one on T.V.

* Documentary Provides Intimate Look at Columbia's Last Crew
http://www.space.com/entertainment/050513_astronaut_diaries.html

It is rare that outsiders catch a glimpse of the private lives of astronauts,
especially those who gave their lives in the pursuit of space exploration.

* Filmmaker George Lucas Glad to Leave 'Star Wars' Behind
http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_lucas_starwars_050512.html

A wilted monolith of establishment politics. An entrenched ruling class fearful
of change. And one man who stealthily rebels from within, turning the system on
its head and bending it to his will.

* Don't Panic: Hitch a Ride With the Hitchhiker's Guide
http://www.space.com/entertainment/050429_hitchiker_review.html

It is almost impossible not to feel the tremendous, overwhelming affection that
inundates every iota of every millimeter of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy.

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!
http://www.space.com/entertainment/spacebox/

Explore the SpaceBox! The Best, Worst, and Weirdest Music Inspired by the
Cosmos!

----------------------------------

Recent Headlines:
http://www.space.com/news/

* Launch Pad Glitch Prompts Third Delay for NOAA-N Weather Probe
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sfn_050513_delta2_scrub.html

* NASA Chief Pushes for Shuttle's Replacement
http://www.space.com/news/ap_050513_griffin_cev.html

* Apollo 17 Commander Receives NASA's First Moon Rock Award
http://www.space.com/news/cs_050512_moonrock_award.html

* Cosmos Education: Engaging, Empowering, Inspiring
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_cosmoseducation_050512.html

* Prometheus, ISS Research Cuts Help Pay for Shuttle and Hubble Repair Bills
http://www.space.com/news/050512_nasa_prometheus.html

* Fixing NASA: Continuing Coverage of the Space Shuttle Return to Flight
http://www.space.com/returntoflight/

* SPACE.com's Complete Coverage of the Hubble Space Telescope
http://www.space.com/hubble/

-----------------------------

* SpaceTV:
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacetv/

* NightSky:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/

* Uplink: Share your opinion!
http://uplink.space.com/

-------------------------------------

JOIN NOW! Sign-up For the National Space Society
https://www.nss.org/membership/new_member_form.html

It's because of members like YOU that we've been able to convince the U.S.
President and many in Congress to continue our journey towards the stars!

Sign up to become part of the greatest search in history!
Join TeamSETI: http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_science_page.html

Be a desktop astronomer! Starry Night is the world's leading astronomy software
-- choose between Beginner, Backyard, or Pro!

http://www.starrynight.com/space

Share Your Space
Forward this newsletter to your friends!

(c) 1999-2004 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Imaginova Corp.
470 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10016

Brazilian UFO Research Network - http://www.burn.com.br/

"Os incapazes de atacar um pensamento atacam o pensador"
                                         [ Paul Valéry ]

  Duvidas sobre a lista? Ler historico? Como mudar suas
  configurações? Quer sair da lista? Acesse agora mesmo
  nossa seção de Perguntas Frequentes no endereço:

   http://www.burn.com.br/perguntasfrequentes