On Feb 7, 2008 10:13 PM, Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh at sun.com> wrote:

> Sriram Narayanan wrote:

> >>    Views bordering on Paranoia IMHO. I disagree. Indiana is meant to
> provide
> >>    an easy to use software repository (like Debian) and the tools and
> >> software
> >>    needed to make distro-building easier. AFAIK nowhere it is mentioned
> that
> >>    a distro built out of OpenSolaris sources is not OpenSolaris. If one
> >> does not
> >>    want to use the binary repository then that is his wish.  Isn't
> >> Nexenta (built
> >>    out of source) for eg.  OpenSolaris under the hood. It is TM
> >> restrictions that
> >>    you cannot just call it OpenSolaris.
> >>    Again do you want to call every OpenSolaris distro as OpenSolaris -
> not
> >>    sensible I think :)
> >>

> > Moinak, I'm at the moment not as paranoid as Brian might appear to be,
> > but from his mail and from other reading in the past, I've feared that
> > Belenix might later be edged out of the list of OpenSolaris
> > distributions.
> >

>   I don't think so. Indiana derived a whole lot of technologies out of
> BeleniX
>   by way of the LiveKit:
>   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/livemedia/
>   (I don't think many people realize this fact)
>
>   and the Fully Open X project:
>   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/fox/
>
>   FOX was initially developed on and for BeleniX. Some of the critical
>   technologies for LiveCD:  HSFS filesystem enhancement and Lofi
>   compression developed on BeleniX have now been integrated into
> OpenSolaris.
>
>   Now things have come full circle and the future roadmap for BeleniX
>   is taking it in a direction where it will be leveraging tools and
> software being
>   developed in the Indiana effort - Caiman, Distro Constructor etc. In
> a sense
>   BeleniX will be the KDE variant of Indiana (Kindiana), all development
>   happening in open repositories and enabling more leaders from the
>   community to take it forward.

Taking the  Kubuntu/Ubuntu analogy .. will BeleniX be the Kubuntu of the
OpenSolaris world?
But again, I dont have clarity on whether OpenSolaris will be a world (
Community or codebase or both) or whether it will be a distro.

Extrapolating it a little further, will the BeleniX KDE packages be put into
Indiana?
In the future will BeleniX have to adhere to set of standards use the word
OpenSolaris?