Anil Gulecha wrote:
> The install was succesful:
>
> I had 2 partrions on the 40 gb hdd before
> 1. ( cylinder 1-1534)
> 2. (1535-end..)
>
> I first deleted the 13 gb partition. the partition manager showed :
> 1. (1535-..)
>
> Then i crated a partitin giving the cylinder value from (1-1534)
>
> The PM showed:
> 1. ( 1535-..)
> 2. (1- 1534)

   Is this a secondary master harddisk ?

> Note that the first physical cylinder was shown second on the list.. I
> formatted this as a solaris partition(which is ufs i think).
>
> The install went smoothly to 100% (although there were some display
> formatting issues, the errors were overwritten on the progress bar).
>
> I skipped the JDK install and rebooted. GRUB showed 2 options (with
> acpi and w/o acpi). When I tried to run the first i got an error,
> somehting like :
>
> cannot boot root (hd1,1,a).
>
> I went to edit and tinkered until i tried root(hd0,1,a), which
> successfully booted the commandline. the 108 SMFs were loaded.
>
> The end result is i have to change the hd1 to hd0 everytime i boot and
> i can only boot to the text mode commandline. How do I edit this
> permanently?
   Edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and change the values. I am
surprised why
   it got the wrong values in the first place. Are you using BIOS to
swap the
   disk order ?

> How do I start off KDE? What are the commands I have to run/ config
> files I've to edit, to boot directly to the graphic mode?
   Login to the command line and execute startkde. Direct graphic boot
needs configuration
   of the the KDM (K Display Manager) and registering it as an SMF
service this is one of
   the priority TODOs. It should come pre-configured on the CD for
hdinstall.

Regards,
Moinak.