Hi all,

My friend recently bought a Gateway laptop from US(Vista preloaded)
And thanks to its amazing compatibility with various other app SWs ,we
decided to change over to xp.
Here starts our endeavor!
Upon reaching the screen where we should choose HD partition to install xp,
we get this message
"No hard-disk detected ,please ensure that the hard-disk is powered up and
retry" (The laptop was not running on batt)
Even after repeated trials this was as far as we could go.

I thought this could be some notoriously strange issue with security that
Gateway might have; So had this idea of installing solaris ,wiping out the
entire HD ,then get back to installing xp. (could be a Vista issue)
But,there was a surprise in store for us ,even with solaris!
We got the same error message here as well!!!
How is it possible?
My guess, there is some sort of hardware security thats been integrated
thats preventing us from installing anything other than the stock fit!
Is there anyway to counter this issue!
oddly enough i would really like to know if anyone else has faced similar
issues!

Regards
Shampavman
blogs.sun.com/sham