On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM, kunal ghosh<kunal.t2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to install belenix and opensolaris 2008.11 on bare metal
> without luck, both behave similarly.
> They both finish installing and give the message of successful installation.
> When i reboot the grub is installed properly in both cases, but when i
> select to load the operating system, i get the following error in both.
> findroot (rpool_pool,0,a) not found. //The actual message may be slightly
> different
> My HDD partitions look as follows
> hd0,0----linux swap----2.5GB
> hd0,1----ext3 ubuntu--39.8GB
> hd0,2----belenix/OSOL-----20GB
> hd0,3----ext3 backup partition---179GB
> How do i rectify this problem ?

   That Linux swap is the problem. Earlier Linux swap and Solaris partitions had
   the same ID (0x82) so they clashed. Later A new partition ID 0xbf (called
   Solaris2) was identified for Solaris. But for backward
compatibility the kernel
   still identifies either 0x82 or 0xbf as Solaris partitions. So you
have a clash since
   Linux swap comes before the Solaris partition. Annoyingly the Solaris kernel
   ignores the partition number it receives from GRUB and rescans MBR finding
   linux swap and getting confused. it is OK is linux swap cmoes after a Solaris
   partition.

   You can use some GRUB tricks to hide the Linux swap partition while booting.
   For the hd0,1 ubuntu boot entry add the following line just after
the "title" line
   for Ubuntu:  parttype (hd0,0) 0x82
   Add the following line just after the "title" line for BeleniX:
   parttype (hd0,0) 0xff

   This essentially changes the partition type of linux swap while
booting BeleniX
   so that it is not recognized and changes it back when booting Ubuntu.

Regards,
Moinak.
--
http://www.belenix.org/