On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 10:44 +0530, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Arun Tomar <tomar.arun at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ________
> >                                          +------------+        /
> >                                          |            |       |
> >                            +-------------+ ISP 1      +-------
> >        __                  |             |            |     /
> >    ___/  \_         +------+-------+     +------------+    |
> >  _/        \__      |     if1      |                      /
> >  /             \     |              |                      |
> > | Local network -----+ Opensolaris  |                      |     Internet
> >  \_           __/    |      box     |                      |
> >   \__     __/       |     if2      |                      \
> >      \___/          +------+-------+     +------------+    |
> >                            |             |            |     \
> >                            +-------------+ ISP 2      +-------
> >                                          |            |       |
> >                                          +------------+        \________
> >

> > hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to achieve loadbalancing and failover on 2 ISP that we have.
> > roughly diagram provided above.
> >
> > There are couple of stuff that can be used, like ipfilter, ipmp, crossbow
> > etc. and i'm confused how to use these
> > stuff and achieve the above scenario.
> >
> > Couple of confusions:
> >
> > 1. Every ISP has their own gateway and dns settings.
> > 2. Both ISP may provide a static ip or may not, or only one may provide
> > static IP and other dhcp.
> > 3. Do we need to do NAT (between the osol box and ISP) or let them connect
> > to the osol box and do the NAT from the osol?
> > 4. Local network need not know that there are 2 ISP. They'll just send the
> > outbound to the osol box.
>
> You need three interfaces:
> - one on the inside, which becomes the gateway for your inside network.
> - one connected to ISP_A
> - one connected to ISP_B
>
> > 5. Automatically use the other ISP (ISP2) if one (ISP1) goes down and start
> > using it once the ISP1 is working again.
> > How to achieve that eg: IPMP, or crossbow etc. ?
>
> IPMP requires that both the interfaces have a static IP configured.
> Since you have the really excellent opensolaris bible, see page 278.
>
> See : http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/crossbow_net_virt.jsp
>
> > 6. How to get the intimation, if one of the ISP's (ISP1) goes down? or
> > rather the system will automatically log a complaint
> > with the ISP1 via mail, using the other working ISP2.

thanks sriram, another question that i have is, that ipmp and crossbow
could detect if the interface went down because of cable disconnected or
for what whatever reason.

what if the interface is up and working, but the internet went down, may
be from the ISP end, the dns is not working or the default gateway
provided by the ISP goes down or both, then in that case what will
happen?

as the interface is up, will the system will try to send the packet to
that ISP which is not working?

any ideas how to counter that.

> This is a useful requirement. I need to read up on this, and intend to
> ask on crossbow-discuss about this.

arun.