On 10/10/09 16:24, Arun Tomar wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> the current scenario:
> storage and application that needs that data are on the same machine.
> 1. software raid on ubuntu for the storage.
> 2. the app that needs the data runs only on linux.
> 3. the data is multimedia files, lots of them, small, big and very big
> etc.
>
> what i want to achieve is to have storage and app on separate machines
> for all practical purposes and requirement.
>
> storage can be on osol/belenix and app can be on a linux machine, but it
> won't get the data at the same speed as a native sata hd would provide.
>
> limitation:
> 1. as we all know that software raid solution on linux has it's own
> limitations and problems etc.
> 2. sata transfer speed is 3Gbps or 300 MBps, whereas on a gigabit lan,
> the max transfer speed will be somewhere between 100-128 mbps.

If you have (and are willing to spare) multiple 1G cards, you can try
"bonding" on linux. Its counterpart on solaris is aggregations.
"man dladm" and grep for "aggr". This might yield better bandwidth.

> ideas:
> 1. Xen (xvm) on osol as host and ubuntu as dom1. export data as nfs from
> osol and access from ubuntu. both the os are on the same machine, so
> would the performance of data transfer increase?

You are adding software overhead here, but I don't know what the cost
is. Guess you will have to try it out. I would be interested in knowing
the results though :-)

~p