Dear all,

Primarily my servers would be either Linux or Opensolaris.

I'm evaluating to implement network monitoring infrastructure for
various heterogeneous systems like windows,linux, mac os x and solaris
etc. to be monitored centrally.

while researching for oss based network monitoring softwares, there are
couple of options that are popular and commonly used, such as:
nagios
zenoss
cacti
zabbix

functionality :
1. monitor heterogeneous network.
2. popup or mail alerts.
3. mail the alerts and create a task to helpdesk/ticketing systems(like
otrs still evaluating).
4. monitor and alert specific services.
5. reports on various statistics being collected and graphs.
6. bandwidth usage and monitor.

wishlist: an integrated solution with the following functionality also.
1. inventory management.
2. helpdesk/ticketing system.

I would like the opinion of the group, as to what you guys use in such
cases. feel free to suggest even if the software is not mentioned above.

Regds,
Arun.