The Mulindwas communication group
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 4:15 AM
Subject: [anarchy_africa] Sudan; 10 Minutes of Peace; Gov violates truce, mediator complains

17 Oct 2002 18:00

Mediator says Sudan broke truce, talks may collapse

By James Macharia

NAIROBI, Oct 17 (Reuters) - The chief mediator in Sudan's peace talks said
on Thursday the government had violated a truce with the rebels and warned
that the talks could collapse.

The truce agreement signed earlier this week was the first of its kind in a
19-year conflict that has divided Africa's biggest country and killed an
estimated two million people.

Sudan's rebels accused government troops of breaking the temporary ceasefire
by attacking their forces in eastern Sudan just 10 minutes after the truce
was due to take effect at 0900 GMT on Thursday.

"I have confirmed through independent means that the government did indeed
break the truce," Lazaro Sumbeiywo, Kenya's special envoy at the talks, told
Reuters.

"I am terribly frustrated by this action. Any further fighting which could
lead to the loss of a town could jeopardise the talks. It is pointless to
sign a contract and then you fail to commit to it."

There was no immediate word from the Sudanese government about the ceasefire
violation.

The talks aim to reach a permanent ceasefire in Africa's longest civil war,
which pits the Islamic government in northern Sudan against rebels fighting
for more autonomy for the mainly Christian and animist south.

The truce was meant to stop fighting throughout Sudan for the duration of
peace talks scheduled to last five weeks, but could have been extended for a
year if necessary.

Sumbeiywo said the talks, which started on Wednesday, would continue despite
the fighting pending an official response from Khartoum on the ceasefire
violation.

"I have asked members of the Sudan government delegation about the
ceasefire, but they are dodging, saying they have not heard about it,"
Sumbeiywo said by telephone from the venue of the talks in the Kenyan town
of Machakos.

"We have a mechanism for reporting and dealing with the violations. The
government has to answer for this."

NEGATIVE IMPACT

The rebel Sudanese Peoples' Liberation Army (SPLA) also warned that the
talks could be in jeopardy.

"It is to be noted seriously that if the attack continues, it is going to
have a negative impact on the ongoing negotiations at Machakos," Yasir
Arman, rebel spokesman in the Eritrean capital Asmara, told Reuters.

The rebels said 1,200 government soldiers had attacked rebel positions at
Rasai in eastern Sudan using five tanks, and seven trucks mounted with
artillery. The battle lasted three hours.

"The government of Sudan should be condemned for violating the agreement
even before the ink on the signed document dries," another rebel spokesman
Samson Kwaje told Reuters.

"After repulsing the enemy, our troops have remained in their positions and
did not pursue the government soldiers. We shall fight back only in self
defence because of the truce."

Kwaje said the rebels killed most of the government troops while others had
fled.

Mediators said the ceasefire would cover all fronts in Sudan, including the
east where rebels from the National Democratic Alliance, an umbrella group
including the SPLA, has recently made advances.

Sudan had previously objected to a ceasefire in the east, and the army has
vowed to recapture the town of Hamashkoreib from the rebels.

Peace talks collapsed last month after the rebels seized the strategic
garrison town of Torit. Fighting in southern Sudan has escalated since then.

But when Khartoum retook Torit last week, the rebels gave in to a government
demand that they sign a ceasefire before resuming peace negotiations.
(Additional reporting by Taro Matsuoka in Asmara)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

------
From the African anarchism list to send a message email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://struggle.ws/africa.html

Find out about others on the list and add your info
in the polls and bookmarks sections
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anarchy_africa