Jailed Reporter Receives Mixed Reception from Prison Mates

Monitor (Kampala)
October 17, 2002
Posted to the web October 17, 2002

Nabusayi L. Wamboka
Kampala

It was a breakfast of chicken and chapati washed down with black tea. That was a
rather heavy breakfast for most restaurants in Gulu, but it was just as well.

After combing most breakfast places in town, they zeroed in on Mina restaurant. A
phone call from the Gulu-based 4 Division spokesman Lt. Paddy Ankunda, which kept The
Monitor reporter Frank Nyakairu talking, led the men in military uniform to their
day's target.

Nyakairu was eventually arrested from Mina on Oct. 11, a day after arriving in Gulu,
over a now-contested story he wrote about a helicopter gunship crashing while smoking
out LRA rebels in Adilang Hills in Pader district.

His first night was a chilly one. It was a cell that had been turned into a urinal by
its previous occupants.

"It was stinking and very cold. There was urine everywhere with only patchy dry
areas," he said.

Nyakairu spread out his jumper for a bed on the floor. Then he ate a piece of bread
and drunk water, both of which he had carried, and later lay down to sleep with the
mosquitoes buzzing and the cold biting.

Then it started raining. And he had nowhere to sleep because the whole place got
soaked within moments.

On his second day in the cell, Nyakairu was allowed a mattress and food from friends
and relatives. This was to be for the next few days until Tuesday night when hell
broke loose.

At midnight, a stinking jacket hurled in his face woke him up. It was announcing the
presence of his cellmate for the night; a drunk, marijuana-smoking local
administration policeman whose crime Nyakairu didn't get to know.

"He immediately started struggling for my bedding and it was obvious he was drunk,"
Nyakairu said. "He pushed me off my bed and took over." Nyakairu became a very
frightened young man, but not one without a survival instinct.

"When he lit his marijuana stick and started smoking. I was so scared I knew I had to
fight for my life," Nyakairu said.

When his cellmate went wild and attacked, trying to strangle him, Nyakairu fought back
punching and kicking until he heard him call out for help.

"Because he was drunk and a little weak, I said I would exploit that weakness and that
is how I managed to fight him. Eventually the guards came in and ordered him to one
side of the cell and told him  not to move."

Nyakairu eventually had a candle-lit night. Lighting one candle after
another with all eyes on his enemy, he lived another night.

"In the morning, he had sobered up and even tried to apologise,"
Nyakairu said. "We made up and even shared my food."

On Wednesday, Nyakairu was transferred to Kampala in handcuffs in a police double
cabin car and was immediately checked into a cell for the notorious at Central Police
Station.

"It was some kind of dungeon with over 200 people all squeezed together, including
children, some as young as two," Nyakairu said.

"Their mothers have been arrested and because they [children] couldn't be left alone,
they came along with them and they have been there, mingling with some very tough
guys. Within that dungeon there was another cell for the most hardened fellows."

The prisoners told him that this cell (the inner one for the most notorious of
criminals) was specifically manned by military intelligence officers. That was where
Nyakairu spent his first night back in Kampala.

"When I stepped in, several of them told me kulikayo nyo," Nyakairu said. "There was
one lying still on one side, who I was told was the famous Black. Right behind me was
the man who I was told beat Museveni's security detail during the Independence Day
celebrations."

The man is called Abdalla Bilal Twombayi from DR Congo. Black is alleged to a hardened
criminal whom security agencies had hunted for years. Black was arrested about three
weeks ago.

Nyakairu said that when his inmates learnt he was the reporter who had written the
gunship story, he was bombarded with questions, accusations, but most of all a
welcome. "They offered me water and food. I tried to say I'm okay but I was really
scared," Nyakairu said.

But they were his company for the night.

Look out for the most explosive conversation between infamous Black in The Sunday
Monitor, and the man who delivered the envelope to Museveni at Kololo. It was the most
thrilling longest chat that you don't want to miss.