All along there has been no Kony.  Kony has been the UPDF and what if Kazini finds himself in three weeks' time?
When you guys want to make a point in the future, you have to be consistent.  At leaset Kony has been consitent in his agenda in destablazing some sections of North Uganda and I am sure the military attache of foreign nations will approve Museveni's budget when it comes to fighting terrorism and credit goes to Kony

-------Original Message-------

Date: Monday, November 11, 2002 06:37:48 AM
Subject: ugnet_: Catholics, NGOs Rally to End War in Northern Uganda

Reminder fellow citizens:

Kazini has three weeks to catch KONY. remember citizens. the man swore that
if by December of 2002 he had not yet catch KONY, he would most definately
resign!.
If he can not keep his word the stupid idiot should simply shut the hell UP!!

Matek

Kazini time is ticking three weeks!!!

Catholics, NGOs Rally to End War in Northern Uganda

Email This Page

Print This Page

African Church Information Service

November 8, 2002
Posted to the web November 8, 2002

Crespo Sebunya
Kampala

Civil organizations and the Catholic Church have intensified their effort to
bring to an end war in Uganda's northern region as fears of humanitarian
crisis mount.

As part of its efforts to create awareness about the economic costs of the
war, MS Uganda, a Danish non-government organization, has come out with a
study that says the war will cost the equivalent of US $26 million or 10
percent of the country's economic output (GDP).

Father John Frazer, a Catholic priest and director of an FM radio station,
said the church had already met with the International Rescue Committee and
other NGOs to see what the alliance can do.

Other NGOs that have agreed to work together include Help the Children of
Africa Initiative and Justice and Peace Forum based in Kitgum that has listed
numerous human rights abuses in the region.

The alliance comes in wake of growing skepticism about the government's
ability to extinguish the Lords Resistance Army which has for the last 16
years fought an insurgence war.

As part of the strategy to destroy LRA, an estimated 30,000 soldiers have
been deployed in the region. Army Commander, Lt Gen James Kazini says since
last March, LRA has lost nearly half of its troops, its bases in Sudan and
weaponry worth US $5 million has been captured. It is a matter of time before
LRA is thrown to the dustbin of history, he maintains.

However, the Catholic Church and NGOs are skeptical whether the military
action is the best solution. They have recorded the number of displaced
people to 500,000. Besides, there are doubts within UNHCR of its ability to
mobilize 18,000 tones every week for the displaced population in the wake of
financial constraints faced by the organization.

The grim situation led to suspension of relocation of 15,000 Sudanese
refugees from the war zone. "We have been told even by Museveni (President
Yoweri) of the weakness in the army," says Bishop Onono Oneng of Gulu diocese
who adds that the rebel Lord's Resistance Army LRA had no regard to human
life.

Museveni, the Ugandan leader, has responded to the NGO/Catholic Church
concerns and, on October 14, appointed Eriya Kategaya,the second deputy Prime
Minister, to head government's negotiating team.

But the government has given mixed signals. While on the one hand it has
offered an olive branch to the rebels, its actions have nonetheless scared
peace facilitators. The detention of two Catholic priests in September and
the arrest of 20 peace facilitators who have allegedly been described as
collaborators and are to be charged with treason has kept some back.

Bishop Onono is now skeptical about the progress of peace talks especially
now that LRA has not come up with a peace team of its own.

Still, the government has taken its anti-LRA war on another front. The recent
grisly photos of beheaded people and cooking pots (which allegedly contained
body parts that were to be cooked) published in the state-owned New Vision
newspaper highlighted the determination by the government to engage in
propaganda campaign to demonize LRA.

"New Vision is an up market paper which rarely uses such pictures, but we
wanted to prove to doubting Thomases how bad Kony (David, leader of the rebel
forces) can be," David Sseppuuya, Deputy Editor of the newspaper told Monitor
FM radio station.

However, others did not believe that the strategy was appropriate. "We
already know how bad Kony is and we have been told on and on. But the
pictures only added to our grief and they were in bad taste," said Dr Sylvia
Tamale, a senior lecturer in Law at Makerere University, also hosted on
Monitor FM.

Some observers say that for the war to stop attitudes must change. Japhet
Biyimba, an officer attached to MS Uganda says aggressive tendencies in the
society have caused many problems.

"The major crisis facing Uganda is about leadership We have grown up in an
environment where we have not established mechanisms to resolve our problems
peacefully," he says.

Make allAfrica.com your home page

.