Been there, done that: detention did not save dictator Obote (who also thought that "he was the only African president who did not fear a coup).

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ugnet_: But Minister of Defence Amama Mbabazi said during a separate news conference at
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:04:02 EST
"But Minister of Defence Amama Mbabazi said during a separate news conference
at the International Conference Center, Kampala, that government would arrest
all those engaging in “treasonable acts”.
Treasonable act here, are those acts determined by the state or NRM to be
so.
Sort of reminds us of Germany under Adolf Hitler and how the GESTAPO NAZI
operating machined arrested people left right and center for supposingly
"treasonable act"
Matek
But Minister of Defence Amama Mbabazi said during a separate news conference
at the International Conference Center, Kampala, that government would arrest
all those engaging in “treasonable acts”.
By Alex B. Atuhaire
We’ll arrest all collaborators - Mbabazi
Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) yesterday said that the current wave of
arrests by security agencies started in the army.
UPC Presidential Policy Commission Chairman Dr. James Rwanyarare told a news
conference in Kampala that arrests sponsored by the state have since shifted
to civilians suspected to be opposed to government.
“The purge started in the army and now has spread to civilians," Rwanyarare
said. "The lucky ones whom the press has made noise about have been
forcefully produced in courts and put under withholding charge of treason or
misprison of treason.”
UPC accused President Yoweri Museveni of ruling the country under a “state of
emergency conditions without declaring [a] state of emergency”.
But Minister of Defence Amama Mbabazi said during a separate news conference
at the International Conference Center, Kampala, that government would arrest
all those engaging in “treasonable acts”.
The minister said all those arrested have been collaborating with rebels.
Security operatives have recently been in action arresting people alleged to
be rebel collaborators. Those arrested include Lt. Dan Mugarura, Eng. Pascal
Gakyaro, Charles Willy Ekemu and Francis Ogwang Olebe, all of whom are on
remand at Kigo prison.
Mbabazi said yesterday the arrests are a state matter and all security
agencies are involved.
The minister denied any plot by government to harass members of the
opposition.
He denied he had promised to uproot political activists of Reform Agenda.
He said the group has two sections; those who politically disagree with
government and are harmless and those engaged in acts intended to overthrow
government.
“On the question of crime, I am a hard-liner," the minister said. "If you
engage yourself in crime, we are at crossroads. That’s what I am employed to
do. I am the Minister of Defence for this country and I am responsible for
the security of all the country.”