Kigongo to quit

By Mariam Nakalema

After two decades as Museveni’s number two in the Movement, Haji Musa Kigongo has decided to call it a day.

“In two to three months, I am giving up my post of vice chairman. I am not standing again; enough is enough,” he said in an exclusive interview.

To explain why he was quitting, he used a Luganda proverb: “Ekita ekitava ku sengejjero kifuuka wankindo.” (The calabash that doesn’t leave the brewery gets many stitches) meaning that if you overstay at the scene of action, you sustain injuries.

“Look at my head, there is hardly any hair left!” Kigongo said as he rubbed his bald.

Movement leaders are already establishing an organisation, the NRM, which will contest in the 2006 elections. Kigongo and recently-dropped minister Bidandi Ssali are in charge of getting the NRM registered.

Kigongo is Uganda’s longest serving Speaker of Parliament, having served as Chairman of the interim legislature, the NRC, from 1986 to 1995.

He presided over the legal transformation of Uganda from a revolutionary state to a constitutional democracy.

Under Kigongo’s tenure, the NRC, initially made of 38 unelected members, was expanded through the 1989 general elections. It also formulated the laws that enabled Uganda’s political transition and created the framework for making the 1995 Constitution.

Kigongo told Sunday Vision he was going to concentrate on his business — modernising his Mosa Courts apartments, and looking after his family.

“It is long since I last ate supper with my children, or saw them going to bed,” he added.

On the third term, Kigongo said whether President Museveni wants it or not, it is not in his powers to grant himself a third term.

“Parliament has the mandate to lift the clause on presidential terms,” he said. “Since the Movement recommendations are already with the Constitutional Review Commission, we need to be patient and wait for the decisions of Cabinet and Parliament,” he said.

He advised that those for or against the third term should only concentrate on lobbying parliament.

“This should not take up much of our time,” said the bush veteran.
But Kigongo was apprehensive about the president’s attitude toward dissenters telling them to quit the Movement.

“That is wrong, we need each other,” he said adding that members should not be expelled but should quit on their own.

He advised federalists to lobby Parliament which, he said, is scheduled to debate the CRC’s report.

On Museveni’s successor, he said that the Movement has enough presidential material from whom to pick a successor at the right time.

Published on: Sunday, 1st June, 2003