JUSTICE PARTY
HTTP://WWW.DFWA-U.TK

Dear Editors,

I am writing to Dr. William Muhairwe in regard to your article City
residents to gain cheaper access to water by Dorothy Nakaweesi & MarkOwor of June 24, 2003

I am one person who feels you’ve done a very commendable job.

However, when I read what you said below I was shocked. Yes people need water but water pipes can’t pass anywhere. Let me hope it was a misquotation on the side of the media.

We indeed have urban planners in every town and city let me asssume so and their advise should be forth coming in this regard!

On the one hand, it will be legally imposisble to supply water with
water pipes passing between sewage flow systems or latrines.

Of course this is not what you intend to do. Nevertheless laying water pipes anyhow, will cost you a dime in extract costs in the long run – let us say comteporary urban planning comes to town!

Won’t your pipes be dug up by graders or MTN people or sold in
marketable plots by land speculators?

I have always argued that water systems, eletrical networks, telephony and other communication network even sewage should utilise the road reserves we have in our neighbourhood for a very efficient and effective monitoring.

On in other words , KCC, Local governments, Ministry of lands - the land section should demarcate land for such public utilities which from reading the article below is not a matter that seems to appear to be under your consideration besides water service provisions.

My view is such that had you considered my point above, it will make engineering works such as yours very effective and indeed your work thorough.

I remember that there is a technology that uses geographical
information system (GIS) combined with remote sensors which will
precisely take you to a linking water pipe from your computer station.

Are you employing such into the future with your probalistic water
infrastructure?!

Some one year ago, I was walking a street and saw a man working with remote sensors – I went and asked him what he was doing. He was kind enough to show me the operation of a small size box machine, which was sensoring water pipes that were linking remotely a kilometer away!

I wonder if these sensors could work in an environment you describe below – i,e. water pipes going through a carpetors workshop or nearby a coffee hauler.

There is a cheaper way of maximising water profits, minimising costs and providing cheaper services on your side if and only iff you and KCC can make a conserted effort in maping the infrastructure mentioned above in a legally and technically organised manner.

Sincerely yours,

bwanika
----------
“Of this money, about $2 million (Shs4 billion) is to be used to
improve access to water.
The Managing Director NW&SC, Mr William Muhairwe, said no compensation
would be given to people whose land is used.
"We are bringing you water, allow us to pass through your land but the
issue of compensation is not in place if you want compensation then we
are not coming," Mr Muhairwe said.Currently, only 62 percent of
Kampala's population have piped water. It costs Shs 400,000 to get
connected to tap water at NW&SC.”

City residents to gain cheaper access to water
By Dorothy Nakaweesi & Mark Owor
June 24, 2003

National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NW&SC) is to introduce an
automated system of payment for tapped water in Kampala, by December.
According to Mr Patrick Twesige, the project co-ordinator, people will
use coins or computer chips to buy the water.
NW&SC officials believe the new scheme will enable more people access
and afford water.
The project is funded with a 2.5 million Euro (Shs 5billion) grant from
Germany's Kreditanstalt fuer Wiederaufbau (KfW) bank.
The project is to commence in Kisenyi II and Ndeeba parishes in Kampala.
Twesige says NW&SC has bought 100 km of pipes with a government grant
of Shs 400 million.
Dr Dan Twebaze, the co-ordinator of KCC's Kampala Urban Sanitation
project, said that they have received 5 million euros from the French
Development Agency for urban water and sanitation.
Of this money, about $2 million (Shs4 billion) is to be used to improve
access to water.
The Managing Director NW&SC, Mr William Muhairwe, said no compensation
would be given to people whose land is used.
"We are bringing you water, allow us to pass through your land but the
issue of compensation is not in place if you want compensation then we
are not coming," Mr Muhairwe said.Currently, only 62 percent of
Kampala's population have piped water. It costs Shs 400,000 to get
connected to tap water at NW&SC.
NW&SC sells a 20-litre jerrycan of water at Shs 10.
However, private sellers sell the same amount of water for between Shs
50 and Shs 100 per jerrycan. In Seeta, Mukono, the cost of a jerrycan
of water ranges between Shs 200 and Shs 300 during the day. The price
often shoots to between Shs 400 and Shs 500 at night.
CAPTION:
Mr Mbahozi (L) from Mbarara built this water tank himself but many
people cannot afford to have tapped water ( File photo

__________
bwanika

url: www.idr.co.ug

Logon & Join in ug-academicsdb discussion list

http://www.coollist.com/subcribe.html

List ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Your Email address:

url: http://uhpl.uganda.co.ug