Soroti Priest On Strike Over Closed Radio

The Monitor (Kampala)

June 29, 2003
Posted to the web June 30, 2003

Chris Obore
Kampala

The head of the Soroti-based Radio Kyoga Veritas FM has said he will not shave and wash his clothes until government opens the station.

"What is being done is absolutely damaging to the organisation. We don't support Kony. We don't know Kony," Fr. Athanasius Mubiru said.

Government following an attack on Teso by Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebels of Joseph Kony recently closed Kyoga Veritas FM.

The radio was accused of indiscriminately broadcasting rebel-related news that reportedly caused panic, fear, tension and movement of local population from one area to another.

Fr. Mubiru, however, said the radio is being punished for having tried to give information to people to keep out of danger caused by rebel incursions.

"Am not going to shave until justice is done. Am also not going to change the clothes I was putting on since the closure," he said.

Fr. Mubiru also told Sunday Monitor on Friday that he would, beginning Saturday, continue moving about the streets of Soroti in his blue jeans and T-shirt.

"I will also choose one spot and sit there permanently. That is my demonstration," he said.

He further said that the closure of the Catholic founded radio station had paralysed most of the church projects.

Soroti Catholic Diocese Integrated Development Organisation (SOCADIDO) runs Kyoga Veritas.

"We are employing 140 people and all of them are now at home. We have not processed their salaries because offices are closed," Fr. Mubiru said.

Soroti RDC Edward Masiga has, however, warned Fr. Mubiru over his strike. "If he carries out an illegal strike, we shall meet him in the streets or wherever he will be," he said.

Mr Masiga, who is the chairman of the security committee, told Sunday Monitor by telephone on Friday that they had not all radio offices were open except the radio studios and stores.

"We don't know when the radio will open. It depends on the work done there; once completed, the police will leave," he said.

But the minister of state for information Dr. Nsaba B