July 2, 2003

It is ‘good’ Kony has reached Teso

At the risk of being labeled a rebel apologist, I wish to assert how ‘happy’ I am that the Kony war has now reached Teso.

Let me set the record straight. I am not happy that the people of Teso are being displaced, killed or maimed, or because the regime is now threatened. It is rather because the escalation of the war has changed the attitude of the people towards the war.

In 1996, the people of the north complained that the Museveni establishment rigged elections and beat up people to vote for them. It took Maj. Kakooza-Mutale’s activities in western Uganda for people to accept that this regime is brutal. Mr James Garuga Musinguzi, who stood against Minister of Defence Amama Mbabazi in Kinkizi, can testify to that.

Some political commentators in Kampala were saying that after all, Kony is killing his own people. Minister of State for Health Mike Mukula even took the argument further by saying that fish only survives in water. Has the water flooded in Teso?

I think he and many other people have had a change in attitude towards the Kony war now. The people of Gulu were right. Kony is a national problem, not an Acholi one. And he is not just a bandit.
I urge the Mukulas of this world to support constructive peace talks to end this rebellion because no serious attempt toward peace talks has ever been made.

To the people of Teso, I share your grief and ask you to join the Acholi to force the government to engage in a constructive peace effort as the only way of ending this murderous rebellion.

Nicholas Opiyo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

© 2003 The Monitor Publications