Members:

Here is a copy of a letter delivered to the White House not too long ago.

Ochan
-----------------------------
Mr. President,

We the members, directors of the board, officers, volunteers, and
supporters of Friends for Peace in Africa (FPA) are very excited to learn
that you will visit five African countries next week. We are even more
excited about your Administration's commitment to working towards a free,
peaceful, and prosperous Africa. We welcome such a noble commitment from
the most powerful country in the world. It gives us hope that peace in
Africa will soon become a reality. We welcome your recent pledge of $15
billion to fight the AIDS epidemic in Africa, and are particularly proud
that you intend to use the Ugandan AIDS program as a model to be adopted by
other African countries. Furthermore, we applaud your commitment to
promoting democracy throughout the world. Lastly, we appreciate the strong
position you have taken on President Charles Taylor for failing to step
down when the people of Liberia no longer want his leadership.

Mr. President, your visit to the country of Uganda, which follows on the
heels of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's visit to the White House last
month, is of particular interest to us.   As a project-driven organization
with a mission to bring peace to the troubled continent, FPA's principal
project right now is the dismantlement of the Internally Displaced People's
(IDP) camps in the Lake Region of Africa.  Many of such camps exist in Uganda.

On June 10, 2003, FPA sent you a letter addressing the situation in Uganda,
particularly the 17-year war in the north between President Museveni's
Uganda Peoples Defense Forces (UPDF) and the rebel Lord's Resistance Army
(LRA). We implored you in this letter to make it very clear to President
Museveni that your administration wants a peaceful settlement of the
northern conflict-not a military one. This war of attrition has killed,
maimed, and displaced almost a million people in northern Uganda.
Information reaching us indicates that you responded by insisting that Mr.
Museveni not only seek peace in northern Uganda through negotiation, work
to stem corruption in his government and military, but also adhere to the
constitution that limits the presidency to two terms.  For this, we are
eternally grateful.

Mr. President, recent actions by President Museveni indicate that he does
not intend to heed your advice.  Even as he is expecting you in Uganda, he
has sent out a strong message that he does not intend to do any negotiating
with the LRA.  Instead, he has appointed General Tinyefuza to be
Coordinator of Operation Iron Fist, a military push to defeat the LRA on
the battlefield.  General Tinyefuza is legendary for his ruthlessness
against the Acholi people of northern Uganda during the first attempt to
suppress the LRA by force 17 years ago.  The locals know him best as the
butcher of the Acholi people of northern Uganda.  His appointment means an
escalation of the war and further suffering:  the LRA responds to force, or
the threat of force, with more raids, abductions, killings, rapes,
lootings, etc. to prepare for it.  Their excursions in Eastern Uganda
represent a new phase in their operations.  It is likely to expand into
other areas of presently secure areas of the country.

We are particularly happy that you are visiting Uganda and we anticipate
that Ugandans will enthusiastically and warmly welcome you.  We would like
to point out, however, that a specific sector of the Ugandan population
targeted for annihilation by Mr. Museveni will not be there to welcome you
even if they wanted to do so. These are the Acholi people of northern
Uganda.  We wish that your visit included going to northern Uganda to see
for yourself the horrendous conditions under which people have been
confined in the so-called protected villages since 1996.  Please note that
General Salim Saleh, one of the architects of the war and a close military
advisor to, and brother of, President Museveni, admitted last week that the
war was a mistake, and that the so-called protected villages were unfit for
human habitation. The villages are neither protected from the LRA,UPDF,
biting poverty, diseases such as AIDS and TB, nor moral decay.  Evidence
abounds showing that government troops frequently commit atrocities against
innocent people on an even wider scale, but blame them on the LRA.

The most heart-wrenching consequence of the 17-year war is that children,
the most vulnerable members of our society, are the principal victims.
They are subjected to daily kidnappings by the LRA, which turned them into
child soldiers and, hence, killers.  The LRA is also rounding up little
girls as young as 10 and distributing them to LRA officers as wives,
concubines, or incubators of future LRA soldiers.  The LRA is also selling
children as slaves to the Arabs in northern Sudan in exchange for military
support.

In spite of all the appeals from the victims of the war, religious leaders
including the Pope, President Museveni has stubbornly refused to pursue a
negotiated settlement: he favors a military solution. Yet, in spite of all
the promises and millions of dollars spent, the Museveni government has
been completely unable to win a military victory over the LRA. There are
indications that President Museveni is also perpetuating the war to win
political support from the rest of the country by continuously demonizing
the Acholi people and the LRA. In any case, the median age of the LRA
rebels drops every year, and is now closer to 12. In fact the war is
spreading into new areas such as Eastern Uganda. While it is bad enough for
children to be kidnapped, it is even worse for them to be forced to fight
against the government soldiers that are supposed to protect all citizens
of the country, particularly children. When the UPDF proudly announces how
many rebels they have killed in each military operation, it actually
announces the killings of children it had failed/refused to protect from
being abducted by the LRA and turned into child soldiers in the first
place. We cannot imagine how you would feel if your own soldiers were to
kill American children. Mr. President, we also cannot imagine the magnitude
of the sorrow that parents of kidnapped children must feel or the terror
parents of young teenagers must experience knowing that their loved ones
could be kidnapped at any time from the so-called protected villages right
from the watchful eyes of President Museveni's troops.

Lastly Mr. President, while we feel proud that you might be considering
adopting the Uganda AIDS program as a model for fighting AIDS in Africa, we
would like to draw your attention to the fact that many AIDS
epidemiologists are beginning to question the so-called 'success' of this
program.  Even more are becoming less convinced that President Museveni had
as much to do with this 'success' as he is being credited with.   Consider
the following:

1.      The entire AIDS program has been confined to the peaceful parts of the
country, i.e., southeast, south-central, southwestern, and southern Uganda.
In fact, given the horrendous conditions of life in the IDP camps, the
incidences of AIDS in war-ravaged northern, northeastern, and the West Nile
districts of Uganda have not abated. If anything it is on the rise.

2.      Ugandan societies have traditionally been open to new information on
sexual practices.  The adoption of new sexual practices spoke more of the
advantages of open societies rather than deliberate/conscious application
of political leadership.  That Mr. Museveni was the President when the AIDS
program became a 'success' needs to be attributed as much to the
coincidence of history as to the effectiveness of his political leadership.

3.      The fight against HIV/AIDS in Uganda was, and is, a moral issue.
Women's organizations, traditional and religious leaders, non-profit
organizations, and individuals were more involved in the fight using
societal sexual practices rather than the policies from the government on
HIV/AIDS. The so-called Museveni 'success ' is therefore limited.

 We cannot envision how the Ugandan model can be considered a national
success if it excludes, by design or neglect, more than a quarter of the
country.  In our humble opinion, the people of northern Uganda, who are
confined in the congested IDP camps, deserve as much right to enjoy the
success of the program as any other Ugandan citizens. While you consider
adopting the Ugandan AIDS program for other African countries, we humbly
ask that you also consider the application of the same program in northern
Uganda, a peaceful Northern Uganda.

While we anticipate that you will be warmly welcome in Uganda and that you
will have a memorable visit, we appeal to you to think about three concerns
we described above: 1) the 17-year war in Northern Uganda, 2) the forced
confinement of IDP in camps under conditions contrary to the United Nations
Guidelines on internally displaced people and 3) the continuous use of
abduction of children by the LRA and the conscription of children into the
Uganda government military. In our opinion, the perpetuation of these
problems is contrary to the commitment of working towards a free, peaceful,
and prosperous Africa as a whole-and Uganda in particular. We feel that it
would be very helpful for our effort to peacefully resolve the war in
northern Uganda if you take the lead in strongly insisting that (a)
President Museveni and the LRA abandon their military approach to the
17-year old war and instead pursue a negotiated settlement, (b) both sides
stop using child soldiers in their armies, and (c) the Uganda government
ensures that the IDP camps are orderly disbanded so that residents can
peacefully return to their homes.  While the Pope and other religious
leaders, the European Union and its member countries, and local, national,
and international non-governmental organizations operating in Uganda have
often vociferously insisted that peace in Uganda be sought through
negotiation rather than military victory on the battlefield, your
leadership on this and other attendant issues, as shown in the case of
Liberia, is indispensable if President Museveni is to seriously consider
negotiating with the LRA.

We wish you a memorable and successful visit to Africa, and hope that it
will not be the last as President of The United States of America.  God
bless you, and God bless America.

Respectfully,

Ochan Otim, Ph.D.                       Okot Nyormoi, Ph.D.
President.                              Chairman, Board of Directors.

Cc. Colin Powell, Secretary of State
Condoleeza Rice, National Security Advisor
Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense