Rebels attack Katakwi again
By Patrick Elobu Angonu
July 14, 2003

  The Lord's Resistance Army rebels have re-entered Katakwi district.

The rebels yesterday burnt three camps for displaced people in Obalanga sub-county.

They also abducted many people.

Obalanga LC-III Chairman, Mr Patrick Erau, told The Monitor in Soroti town that the attack follows a Saturday afternoon ambush in which the rebels killed three Arrow Boys (local militia) and injured two others at Agonga in Obalanga.

"Yes, I have got information that the LRA attacked and burnt three [IDP] camps including Agonga, Angedaiteng and Amou all in my sub-county before abducting an unspecified number of people," he said.

Obalanga sub-county borders Otukei County in Lira.

The Arrow Boys are a mix of ex-Uganda People's Army rebels, local defence unit fighters and demobilised UPDF soldiers.

They were mobilised by the Minister of State for Health, Mr Mike Mukula and resident district commissioners Musa Ecweru (Kasese), Max Omeda (Gulu), Edward Masiga (Soroti) and Ndiwa Chepkongin (Katakwi).

Ecweru yesterday confirmed the attacks.

"Yes, it is true two more groups of the LRA have entered Teso and have camped at Morungatuny and Obalanga sub-counties in Katakwi district," he said.

The LRA rebels have reportedly camped in the areas they first attacked when they invaded Teso on June 15, including Olwa in Morungatuny and Agonga, Osukunya and Olobai in Katakwi district.

"We've heard about it. But what I confirm is that the LRA have re-entered Teso," said Ecweru, who was attending a security meeting in Soroti.

Obalanga LC-V councillor, Mr Julius Ochen, also confirmed the Saturday killings of the Arrow Boys.