All i'm saying is that we should stick to one standard of representing information on this forum, so that attention is only given to the content of postings. Mr. Ochan's article did not have a source, so the content is not varifiable....therefore the translated version would have sufficed, besides i think we can all trust each other at this level, can't we?

From: Paul Njoki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ugnet_: Murder: Gulu Plans to Sue Government
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:34:42 +0200 (SAST)

I don't understand the language at the very bottom of this posting, but I have
a feeling that was is on top, that you Mr. Musaazi responded to, is a
translation of whatever was in the original article. Let me get this clear. Are
you Mr. Musaazi implying that anything which is not originally written in
english should never find its way onto Ugandanet, even where a translation is
included?!

I guess the purpose of attaching the original article is to enable anyone who
understands the vernatular in which the original article was written to verify
that the translation given is a true representation of what was originally
written/said in the original article.

Would it be a consolation Mr. Musaazi, if I told you that I also don't
understand the original article but I'm happy with the translation especially
since no one has challenged it?

I sincerely hope Mr. Musaazi that it is not the article itself you are not
confortable with and just using the language issue as a cover-up.

Nice weekend.

Quoting emmanuel musaazi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Netters, can we all agree that the use of vernacular should be reduced
> or
> prohibited....i don't see the use of putting up postings that are not
> comprehensible to every Ugandan....we are Ugandans and the official
> language
> of Uganda is english.....and please this is not meant to reduce or in
> any
> way shape or form diminish the seriousness of Mr. Ochan's article. I
> have
> been discouraging people from using luganda when responding to me. The
> use
> of vernacular is tolerable if it is one or two words but beyond that it
>
> becomes discomfiting to some of us who do not understand.
>

> >From: Ochan Otim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: ugnet_: Murder: Gulu Plans to Sue Government
> >Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:54:52 -0700
> >
> >Translated from Rupiny Wednesday, 30th July, 2003
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
> >Gulu Plans to Sue Government over murder
> >Murder
> >
> >Odwong Wod Ayo
> >
> >Gulu District Council has voted to take the government to court over
> the
> >destructive murder that the UPDF have committing in Gulu. Gulu
> Chairman,
> >Lt. Col. Ochora has requested religious leaders in Gulu District to
> provide
> >the district attorney with the names of everyone murdered and the
> places
> >where these murders occurred so that legal action can be initiated
> against
> >the government.
> >
> >"Many UPDF soldiers have shot people in their own homes. The
> population is
> >very upset that these murderers are still roaming the streets", Lalolgi
>
> >Councillor Ben Acellam told the members.
> >
> >The Gulu DLC resolved to take the 'big' government (meaning GOU) to
> court
> >on behalf of their kins who have been murdered by UPDF soldiers.
> >
> >One the other hand, Arthur Okot writes that Odoch Athi LC 5 councillor
> of
> >Pabbo sub county informs that UPDF soldiers reached Akonyi Bedo PS
> school
> >and caused destruction.
> >
> >Other crimes that Rupiny has unearthed is that there is a man in
> Bungatira
> >sub-county who was tied up with a rope for three days until his hands
> began
> >to rot: his hand were amputated later in the hospital.
> >
> >Lalub RDC Semei Okwir said that there other crimes which are have been
>
> >committed but not on behalf of the government. He added that these
> >soldiers are being delt with under the law.
> >

> >Bal mukene ma Rupiny onongo ni laco mo ma mony Bungatira sub-county
> otweyo
> [...]

\\\\\\\"Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate
version of someone else.\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Njoki Paul
University of Pretoria