Sour grapes and fitima is driving Chris Obore to write
all this.

--- gook makanga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Is theft the route to modernisation?
By Chris Obore
August 2, 2003

When I was young, my maternal grandfather used to
strongly talk against stealing. He warned us never to
steal anything however tempting the situation was,
because stealing pains the owner of the property.

He went a head to say that when you steal, the owner
will curse you, and that God listens and retribution
would follow.

I, therefore, grew up fearing theft. I also grew up
with the knowledge that since it was an elder
speaking, therefore, all older people do not steal.

Then on July 21, some disturbing news episode unfolded
in Parliament. The MPs on the Defence and Internal
Affairs Committee challenged the Police over the
purchase of a Shs 144m car for the Inspector General
of Police.

The committee, chaired by Mr Simon Mayende (Samia
Bugwe South) wondered why there is that craze for
state-of-the-art vehicles for security chiefs, which
they described as extravagant and wasteful.

The Police chiefs in turn blasted the MPs for being
inconsiderate, yet they (MPs) want pension for working
for a few years, and regularly revise their salaries
upwards.

Mr Julius Odwe, the deputy Police chief made it clear
that an IGP is an important person who deserves a
state-of-the art machine.

What disturbed me was not the Shs 144m price tag, but
the fact that some policy makers do not, up till now,
understand why there is a craze for posh things in
this country.

Our inept or pretentious MPs should be given some
explanations. Most Ugandans today want posh things
because the culture of consumerism has taken root in
us.

Stealing is no longer an evil, and the 'big people'
are the greatest culprits.

The philosophy now is that you either eat or you are
eaten. This philosophy is a seed that was planted by
the politicians and the elite. They have made it grow
like a bush fire.

It was sheer hypocrisy and pretence for MPs to say
that they don't know why there is a craze for posh
cars by security chiefs when the ministers with whom
they sit and debate in Parliament all drive luxurious
cars.

Show me a minister who drives a Toyota Corona or
Starlet and I will show you ministers who drive
top-of-the-range Land Cruisers that are maintained by
poor Ugandans.

In my wisdom, a poor country like Uganda cannot afford
a luxurious lifestyle for its leaders; but the leaders
want it. In civilised societies, such vehicles are for
the business class, footballers or artists who make
hefty bucks in profits.
But in Uganda, the posh cars and houses belong to the
political class and the upper working class.

The question now is; from where do politicians derive
profits? The answer is, from the taxpayer and donors.

Sincerely, even if one joined politics after making
money in business, should he or she enjoy luxury
amidst a poverty-stricken electorate?

As Odwe told the MPs, the IGP is a very important
person. Therefore, all-important persons in Uganda
must enjoy at the expense of peasants who live in
tatters.

I have often interacted with men and women in the
Police Force who, because of poverty, wear haggard
looks and walk like they have just survived a
diarrhoea attack. But regardless of their plight, the
IGP has to buy a good car.

Politics and leadership in Uganda are now a business,
a bad one at that. We have been told that the country
is modernising, the middle class is growing, but no
one has spelt out how the middle class is to develop.

The fact is that a few people have managed to steal
from public coffers and live in luxury. There is now a
craze as everyone tries to catch up through theft in
the name of 'modernising' our country. These days,
some people get jobs, work for two years, and are able
to build posh houses, buy cars and spend weekends at
Speke Resort Munyonyo, Sheraton Hotel or Kiwatule
Recreation Centre.

When our leaders see these things, they are never
ashamed to say that the country is modernising. Thus
our leaders praise modernisation through theft.

Government vehicles are used to take children to
school, carry charcoal for relatives, and frequent
bars. Despite standing orders barring government-owned
cars from being used beyond working hours, most of
them are still used to fetch and drop girlfriends up
to midnight. No one seems bothered, but the taxpayer
has to pay the costs.

What is happening in our country is that leaders have
made the ordinary citizens their investment. They
borrow money from donors under the pretext of helping
uplift the standards of the people but the top class
pockets a huge chunk of the money.

People are coerced to pay taxes for national
development but it is mainly used for personal
development.

Why would an IGP who presides over a poverty-stricken
Police Force want to spend Shs 144m on a car, when
some Police posts lack stationery to use in taking
statements from suspects?

Why would a minister who comes from a constituency
that is home to hundreds of Aids orphans want to drive
a luxurious car when his people don't have clean
water?

Like in Animal Farm, where all animals are equal but
others are more equal, in Uganda all people are equal
but others are very special.

Ugandans who are sleeping today will one-day wake up
only to discover that they have been mortgaged to
investors who gave bribes to big shots in government.

When leaders begin to demand expensive cars in a poor
environment, it is reason enough to believe that such
leaders can kill or sell you in return for
state-of-the-art property.

My grandfather was wrong to tell me that God pays
retribution when you steal.

How come God has not punished the thieves in Uganda? I
was also wrong to believe that older people don't
steal because in Uganda, the big ones are the rabid
thieves.

The author is Education Forum Editor of The Monitor
Contact: 077-593-745

© 2003 The Monitor Publications

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one
can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8  and get 2 months
FREE*

=====
LM