No State Benefits For Amin’s Family

By Alfred Wasike

NEITHER Idi Amin nor his family are entitled to
benefits as provided under the Constitution for a
former Ugandan head of state.
Brandishing a report of the Commission of Inquiry into
the Violation of Human Rights (October 9, 1962 to
January 25, 1986), state minister for gender and
cultural affairs Sam Bitangaro and for economic
monitoring Omwony Ojok yesterday said Amin was not
entitled to any settlement.
The report compiled by a probe commission chaired by
Supreme Court Justice Arthur Oder was released in
October 1994.
It catalogued harrowing accounts of human rights
abuses from more than 600 witnesses on oath in Apollo
Milton Obote and Amin’s governments.
The report recommendations have been implemented in
phases including the establishment of the Uganda Human
Rights Commission.
“According to the statute that governs privileges and
benefits of past presidents, Amin just does not
qualify. He did not even return to Uganda. There are
no legal obligations on the Government to extend the
benefits to his family,” Bitangaro told journalists at
the weekly President’s Office briefing.
Ojok, also acting state minister for information,
said, “It is good to forgive and preach reconciliation
but we should not forget that Idi Amin’s regime left
an indelible record of atrocities in which hundreds of
thousands of Ugandans and foreigners perished.”
He, however, said, “Amin’s family should not be
witch-hunted for crimes committed under his rule. In
fact the Government has been very human and assisted
them to see the patient.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 22nd August, 2003

--- Ed Kironde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Friends and the family of Idd Amin should solicit
> the government of
> Saudi Arabia to exhume the remains of the dictator
> and bury him in Arua.
> Whether it means getting a bank loan now to also
> build a recreation
> center (to cater for national and foreign tourists)
> near the burial
> site, it will pay off in due course.
>  The family should start in Hollywood and get a cut
> from the movies made
> about Amin and hire a lawyer.  Whether they get
> money from the movies or
> not, at least they will win an appearance on "Larry
> King Live" - start
> of stardom!
>
> ---
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Date: 8/14/2003

> This service is hosted on the Infocom network
> http://www.infocom.co.ug

=====
LM