Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 7:49 PM
Subject: ugnet_: How Obote & Amin, Two of Africa's Most Brutal Killers, Co-Evolved

 David Martin 1974 General Amin. London, Faber & Faber.

 Ch 1. The Rise of Amin. Pp. 11 – 26. (Excerpt from pp. 16 -20)

 “Amin’s mixed background has given him a smattering of five languages. He speaks Kakwa and some Luganda, having been raised in the part of Uganda where those vernacular (sic) are spoken. From the army he learned Swahili which is the language of command, as limited English, which is laboured when he is reading prepared text, and somewhat better during his impromptu harangues. The only language he speaks reasonably well is a type of broken Arabic referred to as Nubian which is used by the West Nile Muslim colony in Buganda.

 “Since coming to power, and for several months before that, Amin has made much of his Islamic beliefs. The Nubian-Islamic impact was felt most in West Nile, but at the time of the coup less than 6 per cent of Uganda were Muslims. Amin’s devotion to Islam has been particularly manifest publicly since he broke relations with Israel in 1972, but it is clear his beliefs are tailored to his political needs.

 “The background of his four wives is revealing. The first, Sarah, also known as Mama Maliam’, only converted to Islam in 1968 after ten years of marriage. The second, Kay, is the daughter of a Protestant clergyman and still a Christian. The third, Norah, is also a Protestant, and her parents are Balokoli (sic), which is the Uganda equivalent of Puritans. His fourth wife, Medina, whom Amin claims was ‘given’ him in 1971, was the only Muslim at marriage. To marry three Christians in succession and to make little effort to convert them to Islam hardly smacks of a devout Muslim.

 “A more interesting side of his nature is provided by his service record in colonial times. Africans who served with him in this period in the King’s African Rifles recount that he was frequently in trouble.

 “One story hold that after Amin had become a sergeant he was caught in bed with a colleague’s wife and pursued naked down Nakuru Street. A British officer, quoted in Sunday Telegraph, recalled: ‘In 1955 there was only one blot on his copybook. His record showed that he had had venereal disease which made him ineligible for a good conduct stripe.’

 “But other stories are far less humorous. As a corporal fighting the Mau Mau in Kenya in the 1950s he established a sadistic record. In Uganda the north-eastern Karamajong tribe, who traditionally go about naked, were notable cattle rustlers who periodically had to be disarmed. Naturally, they were reluctant to surrender their spears and shield, and another British officer who served with Amin at the time has boasted that Amin was remarkably successful in persuading them. He claimed that Amin made them stand with their penes on a table and then threatened to cut of the organs with a machete unless they told him where their spears and shields were hidden.

 “If these incidents were not an indicator to Amin’s true nature then certainly the Turkana murders in north-west Kenya were earlier in 1962. Like the Karamajong the Turkana are semi-nomadic herdsmen with a penchant for cattle rustling. But unlike the Karamajong, the Turkana use guns on their forays, and periodically, during the dry season, when there are only limited water-holes in the area, joint police-army sweeps were launched to disarm them. One of these sweeps was mounted in late in 1961 and into 1962 and the force included ‘C’ Company of the 4th King’s African Rifles in which Amin was a lieutenant and a platoon commander.

That Amin’s platoon carried out a series of murders has been disputed as Obote propaganda, but I have obtained irrefutable evidence that a number of killings did take place. The story goes that platoon of ‘C’ Company carried out a series of raids on Turkana villages to seize arms, and only Amin’s platoon returned empty-handed. Angered by this apparent failure Amin took out his platoon again that night and they returned fro a Turkana village with guns they had seized. A few days later, complaints were received from the Turkana, and a number of bodies were exhumed from shallow graves at the village. The showed clear signs of having been tortured and beaten before death.

The then Police Commissioner of the Kenya Police, Sir Richard Catling recalled: ‘I remember the incident well. A number of Turkana had been ill-treated and some killed.’ He said that the 4th King’s African Rifles had been responsible adding that he had had some difficulty in insisting that the investigation of the murders should be carried out by the police and not by the army.

“Sir Walter Coutts, the last British Governor of Uganda, remembers being telephoned early in 1962 by the Deputy Governor of Kenya, Sir Eric Griffith-Jones. ‘He said some pretty frightful things had been going on in Turkana and it looks as though there is some evidence apparently that one of your Ugandan army people has so brutally beaten up a complete Turkana village, including killing them, that I think I shall have to take criminal proceedings against him.’ The office mentioned by Sir Eric was Idi Amin.

“The Governor pointed out to Sir Eric that it was only six months before Uganda independence and that it would be politically highly disastrous to bring one of the only two black officers in the Ugandan army to trial for murder on the eve of independence. ‘I told him, “Why can’t you let me have him back and deal with it here?” ‘ Sir Walter recalled. ‘Eric felt he should proceed according to law. But I was quite convinced it would be politically wrong. We got Amin back.’

“Sir Walter says he consulted the former commander of the 4th King’s African Rifles, Colonel Bill Cheyne, as to whether Amin should be court-martialed. The Colonel’s view was that there should be a court-martial, but they decided that Obote, who was then Prime Minister, should be consulted.

“Obote had never met Amin at this point, although he must have been aware that5 he was one of only two African officers in the army. He (Obote) subsequently wrote:

‘I (Obote) had been Prime Minister for only a few months when the Governor, Sir Walter Coutts, asked me to go to State House. The he told me (Obote) the story of the murder of the Turkana by one Lt. Idi Amin. Sir Walter told me about the inquiries made by the KAR G.O.C. HQ in Nairobi about these killings and the case against Amin. Sir Walter was Commander-in-Chief of the 4th KAR. The G.O.C., as I (Obote) understood it, found Amin guilty and sent the file to the C-in-C to confirm sentence, which was dismissal. Sir Walter sought my opinion whether he should confirm the sentence or not.

I (Obote) regret to say that part of Uganda’s present suffering, sickness and inhumanity can be traced to the opinion I (Obote) gave to Sir Walter. Even now I cannot explain why I (Obote) came to give that opinion for it does not fall into the various decisions involving the loss of human life which I (Obote) made subsequently or before that opinion was given. I (Obote) advised that Amin be warned – sever reprimand! After I (Obote) had given my advice Sir Walter told me (Obote) that an officer like Lt. Idi Amin was not fit to remain in the KAR; the case against Amin should have had the sentence of at least imprisonment and that I (Obote) was wrong to advise that Amin should not be dismissed. The Sir Walter added: “I (Sir Walter) warn you (Obote) this officer (Amin) could cause you (Obote) trouble in the future.”  I (Obote) remember this warning word for word except for the word c ould, about which I have some doubt whether Sir Walter said would or could.

Obote remembers that in 1966 Sir Walter visited Uganda during the Congo gold and ivory scandal and repeated his prophetic warning.

‘In 1966, Sir Walter, in the presence of Sam Odaka, reminded me (Obote) about the warning he had sounded some four years back. We were in the PM’s office in Entebbe and it was after the Ocheng allegations in the National Assembly.

“Thus the political wind of change saved Amin on the eve of Ugandan independence.  Sir Walter‘s recollection of exactly what action was taken against Amin is hazy, but he believes that the matter was dealt with by an army court at Jinja where he thinks Amin was fined. However the main point is that at independence on 9 October 1962, Obote was well aware of the nature of Amin, as were the British when they happily greeted his seizure of power in 1971.”

My take is that Obote knew exactly what he was doing – only he was mistaken and his plan eventually backfired on him. (Incidentally, Ibingira also came to pretty much the same conclusion in his book, African Upheavals Since Independence.) He thought that by shielding Amin from the full wrath of the law, that the latter (Amin) would then owe his job, if not very existence to him (Obote), and that Amin would forever be loyal to him (Obote). Boy, was he wrong!  For all it matters, Western governments in choosing puppets to protect their interests, almost always choose those who are weak, unpopular and insecure to do their bidding without question.  Since they lack popular support, they owe their jobs to their foreign masters. The rest, as they say, is history.

note: I added the stuff in parentheses in the above excerpt to improve clarity.

Get MSN 8 and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug