This reminds me of the Amin days if you wanted to go to Kenya you had to get prior permission from the DC. They say history repeats itself it has.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 9:08 PM
Subject: ugnet_: All Civil Servants in Soroti District to Fight Kony Rebels

All Civil Servants in Soroti District to Fight Kony Rebels

The Monitor (Kampala)

September 2, 2003
Posted to the web September 2, 2003

Robert Okello
Kampala

The Chief Administrative Officer, Soroti, Mr George William Omuge, has ordered all civil servants in the district to take up arms and fight the Lord's Resistance Army rebels in Teso.

Omuge was speaking at the first ever meeting for all civil servants based at the district headquarters, which was held at the Nurses Training School, Soroti.

"I want all my civil servants to enter uniform, acquire military skills to fight Kony out of Teso. This means we have to sacrifice ourselves in order to save the lives in Teso," Omuge said.

The official also ordered that no civil servant should leave the district without permission. "No one is supposed to leave the duty station without an express written permission from my office especially during these unsecure days. We are accountable for all of you so we need to know your whereabouts," he said.

He added that most civil servants sneak out of office for studies or personal business without notice. Omega also advised employees to save for retirement.