Comment
Tuesday, September 9, 2003

Lessons from Wamalwa's death

By DAVID MAKALI

Saturday's state burial of Vice-President Michael Wamalwa brought the curtain down on two weeks of national mourning proclaimed by President Kibaki.

Condolence and felicitation messages have flowed over the loss of a man so loved, a politician so gentle.

The expanse of the newsprint and airtime dedicated to mourning him has surpassed that of his mentors, Jaramogi Odinga and Masinde Muliro, the two most colossal losses of the last 10 years – indeed, the only ones who exceeded Mr Wamalwa's stature.

But while we pay tribute and bid farewell to our illustrious – yet not too lucky – compatriot, we must also ponder certain important questions that will not rest even after his burial.

First is the precedent we have set. Two weeks of state mourning, many agree, was rather tenuous and too expensive.

Is that standard sustainable? If it is two weeks for the VP how many days shall we officially mourn a president or a speaker? How shall we treat the deaths of other notables who are not politicians or do not hold political office?

Secondly, it is well that Mr Wamalwa was interred at his Kitale home, a proposal to do so at an undefined Heroes Square having failed. Precisely who or which heroes will be buried at such a national cemetery is far from settled.

Because political values are defined by those who wield power, we are likely to end up with a discriminatory use of such a tag as "hero".

Just as many did not approve of some of the people President Moi rewarded with commendation medals, so is the current Government likely to face that challenge.

Then there is the recurrent question of our leaders' health and what we (should) know. While he convalesced in London, several delegations who visited Mr Wamalwa found it morally suitable to encourage the country when it was apparent that their statements were not based on medical facts but were common euphemisms during an important person's illness.

His death was unexpected. But those who knew him better say he had been in bad shape for a while. The question is: Didn't his visitors have an obligation to inform the country correctly on the VP’s health?

Granted that the health of every individual is a private affair, we need to find a standard for handling the status of public officials who impact on the lives of others.

Leadership demands that leaders use their influential positions in society to mobilise the public against afflictions.

It is a fact that the clinic Mr Wamalwa checked into in London is noted for outstanding work relating to HIV/Aids. It has also been established that one of the causes of pancreatitis, which the Vice-President was suffering from, is excessive use of anti-retrovirals.

We are not saying Mr Wamalwa, or other leaders who have died in the recent past, suffered from these diseases. But how exemplary it would be, for instance, if parliamentarians formed a lobby called MPs Against HIV or Leaders Combating Cancer and began to aggressively crusade against these killers.

That would create public awareness and add value to the rhetoric of the august House. President Kibaki must have had that in mind when he participated in an ill-fated filming for a campaign against Aids early this year.

First Lady Lucy has taken up that mantle as part of the mission of African First Ladies. Still, she needs a helping hand in that onerous job.

Early this year, Mr Wamalwa’s wife, Yvonne, kicked off a campaign against Aids and became the goodwill envoy of the Princess Diana Foundation. Diana attached her beauty and humanity to the mission to eradicate land mines, which have killed thousands in armed conflict and left many orphaned or maimed children in Africa. She died a heroine.

Mr Wamalwa died in a London hospital, which raises fundamental questions about the state of our healthcare system. If every important person who falls ill – from the president to his ministers – must seek medical treatment overseas, what about those who cannot afford it? Think about public health.

I have heard people complain that the Narc administration is fated with bad omen, which is why many of its leaders are dying.

That is yet more politics. I have a hunch our leaders are dying in proportion to other ordinary Kenyans. The difference is that some will make it to the headlines and others will not even receive a footnote.

I knew Mr Wamalwa as a journalist would a newsmaker. He was a perfect gentleman with infectious charm. But as a politician, he was less adventurous and his modest achievements exceeded him in death.

It is appropriate to say that, as a journalist, I have lost a most personable news source and subject.

Makali is the director of The Media Institute.
Comments\Views about this article

Copyright ©2003, Nation Media Group Ltd. All rights reserved.
Front Page | News | Business | Comment | Letters | Sports | Cutting Edge | Feedback

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger