   From: "gook makanga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ugnet_: I Survived Rape, Says Legislator-MP
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:52:04 +0000

I Survived Rape, Says Legislator

By Milton Olupot and John Odyek
PARLIAMENT was yesterday shocked when Workers MP Teopista Nabulya Ssentongo reported that she narrowly survived being raped by Sudanese Refugee at her home in Namasuba, near Kampala.

Nabulya told Parliament presided over by the Deputy Speaker, Rebecca Kadaga, that her house-girl was raped by the same group that she described as armed and dangerous.

She said she reported the matter to the authorities but no action had been taken.

Nabulya said four other cases of rape by the Sudanese refugees in the same area are pending with the Police.

The MPs were debating the Prime Ministers report on the relocation of Sudanese refugees to West Nile. They wondered why the Government was reluctant about the refugees who were loitering all over the city and its suburbs.

“These people have become very dangerous, they rape women, I was almost a victim and my house-girl was raped. We are scared and if no action is taken, these people will take charge of the city,” she said.

MPs criticised the government for failure to secure the Sudanese refugees and keep them in the camps as required by the law on refugees.

They said areas like many suburbs north of the city were insecure because of the armed Sudanese refugees.

First deputy Premier Lt Gen. Moses Ali asked Nabulya to meet him.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 12th September, 2003

Email this article to a friend.

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X

Mitayo Potosi