Pastor held over Kony
By Ahmed Wetaka
Oct 7, 2003

MBALE - Authorities here are holding a born-again pastor who gave false information to security agents to claim an informer’s reward.

The leader of Naboa local church of Christ in Pallisa district, Pastor Jackson Kato, is to be charged with providing the Internal Security Organisation and State House intelligence operatives with false leads on the Lord’s Resistance Army recruitment drive in Mbale.

“I was told when you become brave and go to the President with information about Kony rebels, you can be paid some money and other material benefits,” Kato said when he was paraded before the press at Mbale Central Police Station yesterday.

“I knew I was going to lie and make some money,” he added.

Kato had reportedly told ISO operatives that another pastor, one ‘Bishop’ Isaac Buyi, was drumming up support for LRA rebels at his Independent Liberty Baptist Church in Busamaga ward, Wanale Division in Mbale municipality.

According to the police, Kato wanted President Museveni to give him a mobile phone, an appointment letter, a tape recorder, transport and an e-mail address.

Police said that both churches would be closed down as they are investigated.

© 2003 The Monitor Publications

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug