From: Owor Kipenji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ugnet_: They’re corrupt because they’re poor; dictators because they’re not democrats
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:16:54 +0100 (BST)

Mitayo,I am beginning to doubt your being what you say you are because,to the Musaazis,the Kirondes ,the Lutimbas and their cohorts,
Mu7 was,has been ,is and will forever be the best thing that Ugandans
ever since the late Sir Frederick Edward Mukabya Mutesa II(RIP) had
in the entire decades it has existed.
Now you are appearing to talk like Mulindwa the nubian alias acholi alias
biological substance talks especially regarding Buganda whose citizens
have been having sound sleep ever since the Prince of Peace,none other
than the celebrated and certified thief and mass murderer Mu7,ushered
"peace" through killing countless number of people opposed to him,in
Uganda.
Mitayo,wa Nywedde Kyi?.How come you have all these 18 years not been seeing Mu7 as a saviour for Uganda and Buganda in particular?Are you,a UPC sell out?.It is only disgruntled UPCs like those biological substances from the North and Eastern Uganda who keep villifying Mu7
because they are defeated forces who are yearning for "lost"glory,the very glory that Buganda has had since time immemorial!.The wonders that Mu7 has brought to Uganda has to be recited and regurgitated all the time and in all places,in the valleys,over the Mountains,in the high seas and on land so that even those hard in hearing can hear.
Brother Mitayo,I pray that you reconsider your stated stand about Mu7
and his very illustrous achievements for Uganda and Buganda in particular.Have you just forgotten that he has made Professor Gilbert Bukenya,a Vice President so that Bukenya can "cook" Federalism for
Buganda?.That is why we have only to praise Mu7 and villify all what all
others before him did,for those others did not do so much for (B)Uganda.
Brother Mitayo,I hope you will make amends with Brothers Musaazi,
Kironde,Lutimba Matovu,Kasangwawo and others before you are bannished from the "Obuganda".
People like Minnini Kahangane Mulera belong in their own class of opportunists.When homeboy,Kiiza Besigye was contesting for the big chair,the principle was"Empiisi 'yo waanyu"Akurya Nga----.So that was
the big about turn for the good Dr.Many of us were not surprised because
with what has happened in Uganda,even when I meet a dog that talks to me,or better still some swine that wants to engage me in a conversation,
I will not be surprised because under the sun in Uganda everything and anything is possible.
Brother Mitayo,I do not want to harrass you more than this but beg to stop here and wish you a wonderful and thoughtful night over this unprecedented position that you appear to take against the flow of the wind.
Thank you.
Akuume.
Kipenji.

Mitayo Potosi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I had always taken Bro Charles Onyango-Obbo to be a dyed in the wool
apologist for our two tin-pot criminal dictators, Kagame and m7.

He seems to have got fed up somewhere along the way. Wellcome aboard dear
friend.

For the first time he is even mentioning the likes of Robert Mangaliso
Sobukwe; dirty words in the crowd of the West's darlings like N. Mandela of
the new breed of African 'leaders'.

Have you ever heard the ANC and Mandela acknoweldge the presence of others
on Robben Island? Sobukwe? Never.

In Canada, we have the case of Dr Muniini-Mulera. For over 10 years he had
a mu7 fawning gang that you crossed only at your peril. They even had a
local weekly to drum into our thick heads the vitures of 'fundamental
change'.

But below the surface it was clear the base was 'we Southerners vs they'.
You became a curiosity if you refused to fit. 'Hey you are from the South
aren't you?', was a constant.

I don't know why Dr Muniini-Mulera changed, or even whether he really
changed. mu7 has not become any worse than he ever was.

Now you hear that 'Baganda' have been indifferent to the suffering in the
North.

When Hon Nuwa Amanya Mushega was still Min of Ed, he told a crowd in Toronto
that NRM was rebuilding the country, which had been ruined by Baganda. I
cried out. It was fellow Baganda who said I was putting them to shame
for my vehment disgust. The only sympathy I got was from a lady from West
Nile!!

Hopefully after 17 years fellow Ugandans have seen the real mu7. But that is
an awfully long time. Imagine the cost. The blood of all those fellow
Africans. Men women and children!!

Ear to The Ground By Charles Onyango-Obbo

They’re corrupt because they’re poor; dictators because they’re not
democrats
Oct 15, 2003

We continue to desperately look for the answers. Why is corruption so high,
especially among key politicians and cronies of the rulers in Uganda?

And why is our country that had a “revolution” in 1986 and saw dramatic
improvements in life and the economy up until about 1998, sliding back into
oppressive government?

Why is the independent Uganda press under the boot again? In short, why has
the attempt at democracy in Uganda failed?

The search for insights first took me to a dear friend, who offered an
explanation that came to him after he finished reading an autobiography by
Zubeida Jaffer (an anti-apartheid South African journalist) and an encounter
with Elinor Sisulu. Elinor has just won the Noma award for her biography of
Walter and Albertina Sisulu, her parents in-law.

His impression is that in contrast to these people, most of the leaders who
are shaping the political destiny of Uganda today are just
“pseudo-revolutionaries”.

Or better still, “fakes”. He writes that; “the high ideals, deep morality,
humility and simplicity that defines these amazing people who paid such a
high price for freedom, is in very sharp contrast to your President Yoweri
Museveni’s ways of doing things.”

My friend is a scholar of African affairs, and visited Uganda when the
African National Congress forces were based in Luwero during the last years
of apartheid. He says he fears that;

“In Uganda, Museveni [and elements in the military and Movement faction that
are close to him] has personally appropriated everything good and noble in
Uganda’s post-colonial history.

“Museveni has dominated political space and continues to shape and define
political discourse. The result is that political culture is a mirror image
of himself and his faction - it is imperial, violent, and nearly
‘decadent’”.

Corruption in Uganda has the same root causes with greedy government in most
of Africa, where he observes: “there is an obsession with becoming wealthy
and living in excessive (but tasteless) comfort, something that comes with a
late escape from poverty! The debates have become more and more shallow,
parochial, cynical (what hard-line Movementists call pragmatic) and
retrogressive.”

The point here being that the parents of most of Uganda’s leaders (and us
their “subjects”) and top bureaucrats were either poor, or if they were rich
were only the first generation to live in wealth.

This late escape from poverty inclines us to rob taxpayers. (If you think of
it, apart from the Kulubyas, there are possibly no more than three Ugandan
families that have had money consistently for two generations i.e. 70
years).

Yet, while this gives us a good view of the underbelly of the corruption
beast, it leaves unanswered the question why democracy hasn’t resulted in
more freedom and enlightened governance in the end.

Instead, it is degenerating in less freedom. To this, I found an answer from
a diplomat who told me he’s struck by how Latin American countries have not,
as has happened in several parts of Africa, slid back into dictatorship even
in the midst of the region’s economic crisis.

He has developed his theory of “dictatorship by democracy”. This, he told
me, is the situation where the government uses democratic forms to carry out
anti-democratic actions. Thus the press is free in practice, but the
repressive media laws remain in the statute books and, more importantly, the
government ignores what it reports.

A government appoints a human rights commission, and passes laws that offer
more liberties, but in practice it acts in violation of these same rights.
When it’s put to task by Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International, it
points to the free press, and human rights laws as evidence that the
accusations of it being a dictatorship are unfounded.

Political parties might have rights under the constitution, but there isn’t
an enabling law allowing them to be freely active, and the Police routinely
deny them permission to assemble. And, of course, the Military Police is
sent in to disperse their rallies.

An anti-corruption body like the Inspectorate of Government is set up, but
corruption continues and it can only investigate those who are not well
connected or politicians who have fallen out of favour.

When the big people are caught stealing, they say; “how can you say we are
thieves and condone corruption when we are the people who set up the IGG?”
Sound familiar?

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

© 2003 The Monitor Publications

Mitayo Potosi

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es