Mr. Okumu, that is definitely untrue....the largest exodus of Ugandans from Uganda was during the Idi Amin and Obote II eras and in those days Ugandans once they left it was virtually for good, most sought refugee status (political/economic). I know 'cos i've met many, plus i've also leaved abroad and in talking to most of them, they had (i should say we had) written off Uganda. So "Ugandans leaving abroad is not a recent phenomenon"....it's just that now (particularly in the mid-nineties when the Ugandan economy sharply improved, along with improvements in human rights) they are regaining confidence in their country and going back to invest either directly or indirectly through relatives and friends. THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

From: "Chris Opoka-Okumu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ugnet_: The Diaspora Abroad Earned Uganda $ 661 million
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:23:12 -0400

You state: "....The reason more Ugandans are sending money home now is because they feel Uganda is safer and more stable than during the previous regimes, so they are investing more in Uganda now than before. ..."

No. It is that more Ugandans have fled their country as a result of the policies of Museveni which make them fear persecution or be unable to earn any living any longer than has ever happened in the past. Consequently there also more relatives in dire need than there were in the past. Why, Museveni himself has declared today that there are millions of Uganda on the verge of starvation. That has never happened in the past.

COO