Why all the fuss about ebimansulo?
By Sheila C. Kulubya

Nov 29 - Dec 5, 2003

Ebimansulo! That's what I have heard all week. It's now the talk of the town.
The other day, some Muslim leaders implored the president to intervene and ban bimansulo because they allegedly corrupt people's morals.

Morals, my foot! It is amazing that people have blown such a nifty issue completely out of proportion.

And yet some of the people who are screaming murder should not be raising the moral flag at all.

What's the greater evil - some starry eyed adults watching an explicit strip tease show, or people who shroud polygamy in a religious cloak?

This issue of ebimansulo should be critically examined. On one side you have the strip teasers, who do what they do to put food on their table and on the other, you have the consumers, who creep out of their homes in the middle of the night to ogle at naked flesh.

Anyone with some basic knowledge of economics will tell you that there is no supply without demand, and vice versa. Similarly, if there were no people willing to part with their cash, chances are, there would be no strip teasers.
Sex is reputed to be the world's oldest profession mostly because it appeals to our baser primitive instinct.

That's why it's not uncommon to hear of priests having affairs with nuns or fellow priests; or prisoners in Luzira who sodomise fellow prisoners.

Sociologists tell us that the whole process of courtship is nothing but an excuse for men and women to legitimately have sex.

As a student of history, I know for a fact that it's sex that launched the Trojan war, one of the greatest battles in the history of ancient Greece.

It's sex that forced a British heir to abdicate his throne in order to marry the woman of his dreams. It's because of the frolics of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba that we have Jews whose skins are as shockingly black as you and me. The list goes on and on.

History is littered with sex, sex and more sex. In a way, MUK law don Sylvia Tamale, is right. Men and women should be educated about sex right from a tender age so that they are better prepared for the pitfalls that come with the trade.

Perhaps if all of us had had this knowledge right from childhood, we would have used our sexuality differently.

The alternative is to legalise the sex trade and establish gazetted areas.
Look at the Netherlands. Its red light district is one of the biggest tourist attractions, raking in billions of dollars each year.

So, rather than carting the strip teasers to jail, I suggest the police should turn its guns on the consumers. Without them, there would be no such shows.

© 2003 The Monitor Publications

Download Yahoo! Messenger now for a chance to WIN Robbie Williams "Live At Knebworth DVD"