By Lovemore Chikova

PRESIDENT Mugabe yesterday said time might have come for Zimbabwe to leave the Commonwealth if remaining a member means losing its sovereignty.

"If our sovereignty is what we have to lose to be re-admitted into the Commonwealth, well, we will say goodbye to the Commonwealth and perhaps time has come to say so," he said.

Cde Mugabe was speaking in his graveside eulogy at the burial of national hero and former Deputy Minister of Political Affairs, Cde Norman Zikhali, at the National Heroes Acre in Harare.

"We want to see whether the principle of equal membership shall be sustained as we proceed to the next session of CHOGM," he said.

"The issue is, is it our sovereignty or is it the sovereignty of others? Is it the African solidarity and sovereignty, the solidarity of those who are non-whites or is it the strength and power of the few whites in the Commonwealth that should dominate the view of the Commonwealth?"

President Mugabe said Zimbabwe expected its sovereignty and that of other countries to be respected by the Commonwealth.

He criticised Australian Prime Minister Mr John Howard for opposing the views of the other two members of the Commonwealth Troika — Nigeria and South Africa — to re-admit Zimbabwe into the grouping after the expiry of its suspension in March.

"We expect no less from the Commonwealth if it merits our membership, if it’s claim to being a club of equals is to be sustained," said President Mugabe.

"We have that Howard — they tell me he is one of those genetically modified because of the criminal ancestry he derives from.

"As you know the history of Australia — that criminals and thieves were banished to Australia and New Zealand and over time the theory of genetics has had its path."

Zimbabwe is yet to receive an invitation to attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting scheduled for next week in Abuja, Nigeria.

At the forefront of trying to bar Zimbabwe from attending the meeting are white Commonwealth countries Britain, Australia and New Zealand.

President Mugabe criticised some African countries for failing to defend the continent’s sovereignty and its solidarity.

"Yet others are apologetic about being nationalists; fear to be Africans; hesitate to express solidarity with us and dread to play keeper to another African brother," he said.

"They allow the neo-colonialists and neo-imperialists to drive us to apologise for representing and pursuing our interests, for being ourselves.

"May be the time has come for Africa to meet the world as a powerful equal, as a continent of abundant wealth, natural resources, able people who command a vast repertoire of skills."

Africa, President Mugabe said, needed unity of purpose and clarity of vision to get back its pride of place in global affairs.

He said unity among Africans based on the continent’s perceived weakness and servility was bound to cost its soul and dignity to the benefit of dominant powers that held it in bondage for far too long.

"We exist as creatures made by God after his image, not as outcomes of a generous procreative favour of the West," said President Mugabe.

"We are not made in Britain; we are not made in America. We are made by Africa and for Africa. We are Africans who seek to be no other race, no other people! We have a separate destiny, an African destiny."

Cde Mugabe said Africa had come of age and should be able to hold its own in the brutal uni-polar world of the aggressive and unilateral will of the powerful.

He said the continent should be able to develop its own priorities and defend its own founding principles.

Zimbabwe, President Mugabe said, had extended the definition and parameters of the African revolution by embarking on the land reform programme.

"Through our land reform programme, we have raised the banner of Africa’s second struggle, the struggle for her economic emancipation," he said.

"That is the core of the second African revolution, indeed, of the rebirth of Africa."

Cde Mugabe said there were some on the continent who feared to be complete Africans and to be associated with the land reform programme in Zimbabwe.

"They are saying Robert Mugabe ari kutorera varungu nyika yavo. Ko chatakarwira chii? Tigoti vari mumasango vakafira chii? he said.

Cde Mugabe praised the late Cde Zikhali for fighting against colonialism.

He said Cde Zikhali was involved in a purposeful struggle connected to the wishes and aspirations of the masses of Africans under colonial bondage.

"He leaves this world a satisfied man that the freedom and sovereignty he helped make have new defenders, his remaining compatriots, who are ready to make comparable sacrifice in their defence," said Cde Mugabe.

"His yearning was one for freedom that would change the circumstances of his people and economically empower them."

Cde Mugabe said Cde Zikhali was committed to the objectives of the Third Chimurenga that redeemed the land, putting Zimbabweans on a firm footing for real development.

Cde Zikhali who was 66 died on Monday after fighting against a heart ailment for sometime.

He became the 60th national hero to be buried at the National Heroes Acre He is survived by his wife Patricia, six children and 11 grandchildren