Matekopoko,
I believe your claim unless the UPDF proves, otherwise we all know that it's them responsible for these civilian killings all along.  Instead of the UPDF killing civilians, why can the gov't of Uganda let the Acholi region free and separate from Ugandan??

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"and where was the national army while such killings was taking place? Citizens of Uganda should recall that the  NRM/A  stated  clearly  before the  nation and  Members of the  International Community  that  security would be beefed up in Lira town and surrounding areas. That the so called LRA rebels would massacre people in spite of the beefed up UPDF  presences,  simply does not make sense. The  UPDF is pretty much killing people and blaming it on the  rebels. I am moved ... very moved  to tears!

Matek

70 dead bodies found in Lira

By Frank Nyakairu
Dec 7, 2003

KAMPALA - Authorities in Lira have discovered about 74 bodies of civilians killed by rebels of the Lords Resistance Army (LRA).

The bodi es, mainly of young men and women were gathered from Amugo sub-county alone, about 70km southeast of Lira, northern-Uganda.

The Lira LC-V Chairman, Mr Franco Ojur, told Sunday Monitor yesterday that relatives of the victims found the bodies in bushes.

"Because that particular sub-county has been under attack, no one knew how many people were killed or abducted because most had fled to Lira town," said Ojur. Most of the bodies bore deep cuts, proving that the victims were simply hacked.

The army in the area however denied knowledge of the reported deaths, but said people could have been killed in the recent escalation of rebel attacks.

"Of course some people have been killed and the rebels are doing that on orders of their boss, Joseph Kony, but I do not have knowledge of the numbers you are talking about," said 2nd Lt. Chris Magezi, spokesman of the 5th infantry Division.

" The only incident I know of in Amugo is that of yesterday when the rebels attacked a camp looking for food and killed three people there, but we also caught up with them and killed three of them," Magezi added.

Lira has been under attack for the last two months leaving several civilians dead. The army, however, says only 89 were killed in the last two months. The 17-year war has led to the displacement of over a million people who now live in displaced people's camps. The rebels have abducted over 20,000 children.

© 2003 The Monitor Publications