WRONG MOVE!

Matek

In a message dated 12/7/2003 11:54:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Baganda royals back 3rd term

SUPPORT HIM: Kimbugwe addresses the press. Looking on is Nkiinzi

By Joyce Namutebi

Buganda royals under the Prince Kimbugwe Foundation have announced their support for a third presidential term for President Yoweri Museveni should he desire one.

The announcement was made on behalf of the princess and princesses by Prince Edward Kimbugwe at a press conference held at the Foundation offices on Mwanga 11 Road, Kampala on Saturday.

The press conference was attended by Nalinya Catherine Nkiinzi, Katikkiro Jimmy Tabalamule from Bugembegembe Kasengejje, Lt. Abasi Kawuki and other foundation members.

The foundation, in a three-page statement, highlighted 30 achievements of the Movement government and said, âBecause of these reasons we have mentioned, we are unanimously informing Buganda that President Museveni deserves another term.â

âWe are not sure whether the successors would consolidate these achievements and even ensure that we the royals remain free and respected as we are now,â they added. T hey appealed to all Ugandans to give Museveni a third term if it is his wish.

The two-year-old foundation has 240 members out of whom 140 are princes and princesses, Kimbugwe said. They include the presidentâs former adviser on poverty Nalinya Irene Ndagire.

All hell broke loose in January 1999, when Ndagire together with three other princesses went to Kasubi tombs and made an announcement that perturbed many Baganda.

They claimed that the Kabaka of Buganda Ronald Muwenda Mutebi 11, was a son of King Freddie Muteesaâs former bosom friend and Kabaka Yekka Member of Parliament, the Late Daudi Ochieng, a distinguished politician from Acholi.

Kimbugwe announced that they would give 10 bursaries to displaced children from Acholi next year.

They commended government for UPE, democracy, human rights, press freedom, immunisation and for returning 70% of the properties that had been taken away from Buganda.

Published on: Sunday, 7th December,

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."-
Malcom X