What's in a woman's handbag anyway?

PHYLLIS NYAMBURA talks to a few women to find out just what it is they carry in their bags that is so precious

It is often said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." But with the handbag issue taking centre stage in parliament recently, maybe we should review the saying to read something like "Hell hath no fury like a woman separated from her handbag."

You will often spot women hugging them closely to their bosom. Sometimes if at all kept down, they remain close enough to the owner to keep away any prying eyes. They may be fancy, classic, big, naughty, magnificent or old but it is a rare women who will be seen without a bag in her hands. Even if it is a plastic one and woe unto you if you attempt to separate her from her bag. It is said that if you want to know a woman's history and character, just peep in to her handbag. There! you have it. Untidy, neat, fussy, naughty, intelligent, childish, conservative and all manner of character traits can be deciphered by looking at a woman's choice and content of the accessory.

So what do women keep in their bags? And why are they so attached to them?

Grace Njenga-30 years, Administrator of Ashley's hair and beauty College

"Grief", "Tragic", are the words Grace uses to describe how she would feel if her handbag disappeared. "I carry everything in it, everything that matters you know," she informs me.

By simply looking at her small, fashionable black handbag, you would not believe its capacity. "I carry my phone, face powder, a small purse with a mirror and lipstick, ID, two creams, bank card, earrings, house and office keys, old business cards, handkerchief, money, my kid's photo and photos of my friends," she says as I rummage inside to confirm.

"Why do you carry earrings and photos?" I ask. "I need to carry an extra pair of earrings just in case these ones do a disappearing act," she explains. "And the photos?"

"I love my baby so I carry his photo around so that I can admire him every time I open my handbag. Then the other two snaps are of two of my buddies who died in an accident two years ago. I was so devastated, so I keep their snaps for sentimental reasons and remembrance," she says while showing me snap shots of two young men.

Grace says that her handbag is out of bounds to anyone since it is her personal possession and closer to her heart than anyone could get. "Not even your boyfriend?" She hesitates, "Maybe once in a while but definitely not always, she responds. I smile sheepishly.

And how many handbags does she own? "Six. Five black and one brown. I love black because it can match with anything," she says of the bags she concedes she buys on impulse. Her bags cost between 1000 to 1800.

Patricia Mbatia, Public Relations Manager, Multi Choice, Kenya

"Oh my God!, No, no, no way," Patricia Mbatia shouts in disbelief when I inform her that I want permission to peer into her handbag. "Why?" I ask her. "It is my handbag....ma life. How can you even think about it!" she says while cuddling her bag.

It is only after much persuasion that she reluctantly agrees to allow me to probe the inside of her stylish beige handbag. "Just for a minute," she says protectively passing the handbag to me. "Bundles of keys, make-up, cheque books, credit cards, medical cover and ATM cards, National ID, cellphone, business cards ...

"I look at her in a beautiful blue Kitenge and inwardly smile at myself. Why? I could never have thought her handbag would be like this - jumbled. Reading my dismay she quickly adds "It is only for today. I was so busy organising today's event that I practically threw everything inside." I ambushed her during the launch of Multi choice's African Magic channel at the Carnivore restaurant.

In a small compartment in the bag, I notice a small purse. "For my money, I cannot have coins all over my bag," she explains. I look on, and see them.....Condoms. "You have to carry them nowadays you know..." she shruggingly tells me. "Naturally also, I carry tampons when it is necessary." she adds.

"How much did this handbag cost you?" I enquire. "That cost me 1500 shillings. Normally my bags cost me anything from 1000 to 2500. Of course I sometimes buy on impulse but mostly I buy a handbag because I think they can match with my clothes." Thus Patricia has a collection of six handbags of different colours and style.

Lisa Marie 23 years, Miss Tourism 2003

Panic automatically registers in the Miss tourism crown holder's face when I inform her that I would like us to chat about handbags. "What! handbags! shock of my system! (a phrase she will repeat often for the rest of the interview). You can't today, I carried my grandmother's handbag."

"It was my grandmother's, then she passed it on to my mother who gave it to me. But I carry it for sentimental reasons not fashion," she says showing me an old-fashioned brown leather handbag.

When I further inform her that I would like to steal a glance at its contents, she instantly becomes frantic and begs me not to proceed with my intentions. "Haki, it is full of make-up. I thought am coming for a photo shoot so I stuffed all my make-up in it, "the 23-year-old beauty queen explains.

It is only after much prodding and reassurance - that I have seen worse handbags - that she grudgingly allows me to view the inside. 'Make-up, and more make-up' describes what I see. "I carry a foundation cream for my nose, lipsticks (6 types) and lip gloss, mascara, antioxidant powder brush, applicator, a small tiny top and bracelet in case I am invited somewhere in the evening," she concedes while explaining that she prefers the simple style.

In addition she will not leave her cardholder which is full of cards. "One day Kiko Romeo called me and told me to go to their offices. I had forgotten their location so I was really frantic. I had to call a friend for the information. From that time I never leave my cards." Her handbag also carries money, mobile phone, keys, ATM cards, silica gel to absorb moisture in the bag, pen and disposable hankies.

"And the CDs (condoms) ?" I ask. "I carry them especially when meeting young people so that I can dish them out," she says.

Lisa concedes to having a number of bags which she mostly buys on impulse.

"My most expensive bag cost me 100 dollars (7000 shillings). I have a collection of 12 handbags. Most of them have been gifts. But I only use two. Some are too screaming and naughty that I would look ridiculous in them."

The beauty queen informs me that I am one of the lucky persons to snip through her bag because for her it is too personal. "I carry my whole life inside.

Debra Senaipei, Former Miss Tourism, Africa, 2001

"My handbag is so personal. I carry everything in it. I have a file organiser containing diskettes, vouchers for early Christmas shopping, UK travel card, day to day diary which has my appointments and a currency converter calculator," Debra informs me while I sift through her oval patterned handbag. "My cellphone with internet connection is always inside. You never know when you may need to travel.

Sunglasses for me are a must because I might need to camouflage myself from disturbing people," she says as she puts them on.

"I hate chipped nails. If there is anything I can't stand it is them. So a nail file is a must. A hair brush also comes in handy for me because you might need to have your photo taken or wear a new look at short notice. To add on to everything a hair band is a necessity because it gives me interesting different looks especially in the evening. If am going for an impromptu date, a hair band gives me a totally different look.

My purse is absolutely important. In it I have money, credit cards, driving licence, ID, important business cards and a cheque book. My passport also goes in there. I carry lip balm for that glamorous look, spare pair of earrings just in case I misplace one or I need another look. A spare pair also comes in handy when I have to go for an unexpected dinner or party.

The other nitty gritties that are a must are keys, an office pass, stamps in case I need to send a letter and telephone sim cards for different countries - just in case I travel outside the country. Condoms also are an all days carry. You might just be caught offguard, she quips.

Interestingly, chewing gums are a necessity to me. You know for fresh breath. You might have had fish for lunch and you cannot go with that smell to a meeting. They also come in handy in keeping hunger at bay. I might be caught up in a meeting up to four in the afternoon. So I lie to my stomach.

Of course as evening approaches the content changes. So I will add mascara, face powder, Kleenex and an extra top." the former Miss tourism spills her handbag contents.

Debra concedes to having a collection of 16 handbags which she buys according to its beauty, practicality and uniformity with her clothes.

"I would be horrified if my bag were to be stolen. I look at it and it reminds me that am safe. In Greece during Miss Tourism Africa (2001), my brand new handbag was stolen. I panicked and I was depressed for days. It took me a long time to get over it. "

"You know a man might be an accessory but a handbag is your soul. It is always by your side," she summarises.

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be.