Nation has once again freed itself from colonial bondage

By Donald Charumbira
Zimbabweâs bold decision to quit the Common-wealth has been hailed in many quarters
as a glorious affirmation of the nationâs sovereignty, independence and right to
self-determination.

The decision necessitates a surge in nationalism amongst young people to ensure that
with or without the Commonwealth, Zimbabwe lives on in prosperity and freedom.

The blatant racism at the 2001 and 2003 CHOGM summits were an indication that the
Commonwealth was nothing more than a platform for continued exploitation of former
colonies by their colonial master.

The fact that Zimbabwe was the first nation in Africa to undertake a massive land
reform programme to empower its own people meant that it became a threat to the
colonial master.

The Commonwealth had no problem with accepting leaders who arose out of coups. It was
not uncommon for a leader who had just usurped power through military means to turn up
at a CHOGM meeting and participate actively.

The allegations of rigging in several elections, including Nigerian elections, were
never taken seriously by the Common-wealth.

In fact, non-intervention used to be the policy of the Commonwealth, until racist
factors came into play.

Zimbabwe became the first country to be suspended for a reason other than a coup.
Detractors have criticised its elections, saying they were rigged, despite endorsement
by many other observers. It is, therefore, obvious that there were racist overtones in
Zimbabweâs case at the Commonwealth.

After more than three years of racist interventions by Commonwealth authorities in
Zimbabwe, the nation has once again freed itself from colonial bondage by quitting the
club of the formerly colonised.

It is certain that the white Commonwealth will utilise all means and resources
available to cause economic and political instability in Zimbabwe.

They are now more resolute to do so given their defeat in the struggle for
Zimbabweâs sovereignty.

This time of international isolation and racist oppression calls for a rise in
nationalism, especially amongst the youth. This is a nationalism that espouses
patriotism and supremacy of the national cause above and beyond the individual or
corporate cause. It is a time for emergency measures to assert national sovereignty,
integrity and resoluteness in the face of racist criticism.

The main imperative is total national solidarity in the struggle to assert the
nationâs sovereignty.

The Western forces have tried by various means to divide and rule Zimbabwe through
NGOs, puppet political parties and biased media.

They have succeeded in creating small divisions, but they have seen that they can
never rule the country again. However, the contemporary sellouts are wreaking havoc in
many quarters of Zimbabwean society by spreading lies, deceptions and Western
propaganda.

They pose a challenge not only to the nationâs sovereignty, but also to its
achievements of the Third Chimurenga.

Zimbabweans from all walks of life, in particular the youth, need to send a clear
signal to all critics to say that we will never turn back with respect to the land
reform programme, and that we are entirely supportive of President Mugabe, and that
all the elections in Zimbabwe have been free and fair since our independence in 1980.

Our solidarity should also prepare us for times of increased economic sabotage by the
colonialists and their puppets. Attempts will be made to wreak havoc in the economy
and to use the economic difficulties as a platform for unrest in the country.

We must remember that the work of the colonialists is not only against the President,
or against Zanu-PF, the Western forces are working and acting against the very people
of Zimbabwe.

They are the architects of the present sufferings of Zimbabweans, and they feel no
remorse when they inflict such great suffering amongst our peoples. Their main agenda
is to usurp power, and they are prepared to make the common man suffer until he joins
their coup attempts.

Zimbabweans from all walks of life now need to rise in national solidarity to assert
our independence, both political and economic.

Zimbabwe is a politically independent nation! The fact that we have pulled out of the
racist Commonwealth is a loaded statement about our political independence. We are
free enough to make such a bold decision which few other nations can make. We should
be proud to have this level of political independence, which demonstrates that we are
the directors and architects of our own political destiny.

Now we need to work harder to assert our economic independence. Achieving and
asserting economic independence calls for unity and solidarity between all productive
sectors, services and the Government.

At this point, the national economic agenda should, first and foremost, be above
individualism and above corporate profits. Economic saboteurs â be they Western,
Rhodesian, indigenous or others â must not be allowed to breed at this revolutionary
time.

Young people, in particular, need to utilise this opportunity by proving wrong the
critics of our Third Chimurenga. This is the time to achieve a total independence,
through the revolution that is taking place in asserting Zimbabweâs sovereignty in
all spheres.

Quitting the Commonwealth is the best decision Zimbabwe could have made in pursuit of
total political and economic independence â it is now up to the very people of
Zimbabwe to work harder, in national solidarity, towards political prosperity and
economic freedom!

l Donald Charumbira is secretary-general of the World Assembly of Youth. He may be
reached on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/TTwplB/TM