Homosexuality is caused by genes  and hormones

Vilain speculates that
the brains of males who feel that they are female, or vice versa, may have a pattern of gene activity that resembles that of the opposite sex. "These individuals might be partly explained by gene differences in the brain," he says.

Such ideas are controversial. McEwen believes that the perception of our sex is probably imprinted first by genes and hormones, and then etched deeper by experiences during life, such as whether we act male or female, and whether we are treated as such. "I don't think it's an 'either/or'," he cautions.