Success without fun? Think again
By Henry H. Ssali

Feb 17, 2004

What is success? Dr Ron Jenson asked his audience at Speke Resort Munyonyo’s Victoria Ball Room on Friday.

Dr Ron Jenson
The answer was his audience, as it was comprised of Uganda’s top executives. But after his lecture, they were to find out that success was much more than having lots of money and being able to rub shoulders with similar people at swanky dinners.

Dr Ron Jenson is a renowned American speaker on life, leadership and success. He is also known as America’s life coach.

He gave the second annual leadership lecture to Uganda’s top executives organised by The Uganda Society and sponsored by Uganda Telecom.

“Many of you are saying, doesn’t this man know who I am?” he retorted to his earlier question of whether they are successful.

But he asked them to think what their spouses, children, in-laws, friends, and colleagues at work and what their conscience says about them being successful.

Many of them had a second thought about their success because they usually have no time for their families and are always busy.

Jenson said he gives about 150-200 speeches a year around the world and his audience range from students to political leaders and business executives.

He said success involved power, prosperity, prestige, position and pleasure.

So the executives whose routine involves only work learnt that they should set aside sometime to enjoy the money they are making, because he cautioned that all they have made could easily be lost.

He illustrated this with a true story of five American Chief Executive Officers of the 1920s who were among the wealthiest in the nation and 20 years later, one had died, another two had committed suicide, one was bankrupt and another was insane.

Success, he says, also involves being in control of family, friends, finances and fun.

Jenson who is also the author of Achieving Authentic Success also said that the power of complimenting others is a quality of good leadership as it brings out the best in them.

He gave an example of his own life where he used to be fat and a ‘D’ student. He also used to sell pornography at that time.

“A man kept telling me I might be a leader one day. I was motivated, I started loosing weight and I moved from a ‘Ds’ to ‘As. I stayed there the rest of my life,” he said.

Jenson asked the executives what they would like to be remembered for when they died and told them to work towards that.

After his lecture, there was a four-course meal and complimentary copies of Jenson’s Book ‘Achieving Authentic Success’, were given out courtesy of uganda telecom.

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80