Too many lies about Fr Carlos

I totally disagree with the article of Tina Turyagyenda and Justin Moro on Fr Carlos Rodriguez (Sunday Vision, February 15). First of all, the director of MISNA (Missionary Service News Agency) is Fr Giulio Albanese, not Fr Tarcisio Pazzaglia. Secondly, it is not true that the three missionaries (Carlos, Giulio and Tarcisio) were arrested in August 2002, "In the company of three armed Kony fighters", as the article claimed.

It is not true that Fr Carlos "is a liar and an LRA sympathiser", as Minister of State for Security Betty Akech claims. We are Catholic missionaries and cannot sympathise with the LRA killers. It is also not true that Fr Carlos "has a secret interest that we shall soon know".It is equally not true that "Carlos was a sergeant in the Spanish army", as claimed by Mr Musa Ecweru.

In Spain, priests do not undergo military training.
Mr Ecweru should tell us the title of the French book with "pictures of Carlos posing with the LRA". He cannot, because that book doesn't exist. Fr Carlos is not "a supplier of items to the LRA" and was not a "soldier of fortune", as Ecweru claimed. Fr Carlos is a man of God and an excellent Catholic missionary priest.

Army Spokesman Maj. Shaban Bantariza does not like him because he speaks the truth about the violations of human rights in the North. Ecweru should be reminded that only the Pope can decide if the Catholic Church in Uganda needs expatriate priests or not. Fr Carlos was sent to Uganda by the Pope and if somebody is against him, he is against John Paul II and the whole Catholic Church.

Giuseppe Liguori,
Catholic Missionary.

"The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth becomes the greatest enemy of the state."

- Dr. Joseph M. Goebbels - Hitler's propaganda minister