BY Patrick Nduwimana

BUJUMBURA (Reuters) - Rwandan troops, going on the offensive against Hutu fighters involved in the 1994 genocide, entered Burundi briefly to hunt "Interahamwe" rebels hiding in its neighbour's forests, officers of both nations said.

Burundian army chief of staff Brigadier-General Germain Niyoyankana told a news conference on Saturday Rwanda had been massing troops defensively for some time on its borders with Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to prevent expected attacks by Interahamwe fighters based in the DRC.

"But then some Rwandan troops crossed the border to search for Interahamwe," he said, adding the Rwandans had entered on Thursday and left on Friday after Burundi protested.

"Yesterday we went to the border to talk to Rwandan army commanders and we told them we will not allow Interahamwe to attack Rwanda, but also we cannot accept that the Rwandan army crosses our border without the permission of Burundi".

"We demanded that they do not do that again, because this can destabilise good relations between our two countries".

Rwandan authorities have been concerned for weeks that the extremist Hutu Interahamwe militiamen, who fled to the former Zaire after participating in Rwanda's 1994 genocide, were planning to leave their jungle bases and move through the northern Burundi forests to attack Rwanda's southern provinces.

A salient of territory formed by Burundi's Cibitoke province has been a favoured crossing point for DRC-based Rwandan Hutu rebels seeking to attack southern Rwanda.

In Kigali, Rwandan army spokesman Colonel Patrick Karegeya said the incursion had been inadvertent.

"That area is a corridor for Interahamwe. We pursued them and killed two of them," he said. "Because there are no clear demarcations and being at night, our soldiers crossed over but immediately turned back after realising they had gone beyond the border lines."

RIGHT TO SEEK OUT ENEMIES

The two small countries are eastern neighbours of the DRC, a giant country gradually trying to restore some order after a many-sided, five-year conflict in which an estimated three million people were killed.

Rwanda has long complained that neither U.N. troops nor the Congolese army are doing enough to root out the Hutu rebels.

The United Nations said on Saturday some 400 Rwandan soldiers had surrounded U.N. troops patrolling in eastern DRC this week and forced them to return to their base.

Rwanda denied its army had crossed into Congo, but defended its right to seek out its enemies.

Many Burundians suspect Rwandan troops have often crossed into their country to root out Rwandan rebels hiding in Burundi's north. Saturday's statement by Niyoyankana is the first public disclosure of the practice.

Such is the chaos caused by Burundi's own decade-old civil war that Rwandan Interahamwe are believed to have found the tiny country a relatively congenial hiding place.

Some diplomats believe the Interahamwe have been sheltered on occasion by Burundi's own extremist Hutus of the Forces for National Liberation rebel group.

Ties between Rwanda's Tutsi-led government and the Burundi's Tutsi-dominated administration are civil but also somewhat wary, because horrific massacres in both former Belgian colonies have had a momentous impact on each others' modern history and on the wider Great Lakes region.

The ethnic divide in Burundi mirrors that of neighbouring Rwanda where an estimated 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were massacred in the 1994 genocide.

But unlike in Rwanda, Tutsis have dominated Burundi's government since independence in 1962 and have committed many of the worst massacres.