OLD MAN’S CORNER
By F.D.R. Gureme

Buganda can lead democracy fight
April 11, 2004 - Monitor

Baganda are, once again afflicted by "akajanja," or fad hysteria. Today I am amazed by the use of the word "'ekisanja" for Museveni's silent insistence on overstepping his constitutional presidential limits, presumably to rule for life.

There is general agreement that, through this assault on the constitution; largely inspired by himself, the President is attempting to marshal Ugandans as collaborationists.

I know a fair amount of Luganda, having spoken it since 1933. The familiar use of the word "ekisanja" is entirely effeminate.

Ekisanja is traditionally associated with ekiyungu in polygamous marriages.

Where I first spoke Luganda the kitchen (effumbiro) was loosely called ekiyungu because of the practical application of the two words, in speech and practice.

The wife whose turn it was to accommodate, feed, massage and "bed-rest" the husband, was the possessor of the ekisanja, and hence the operator of the kitchen whence his meals came.

Thus, for some Baganda to call Museveni's attempt to stick to the Presidency "ekisanja" is both amusing and nauseating. Hence "oluwalo" (turn) or Museveni's "olubimbi" (peace work) are probably more appropriate.

Yes, the Baganda, earlier nicknamed the "Japanese of East Africa," because of their knack for adopting foreign techniques; whose leaders, having their stomachs where their hearts should be, did, in a moment of insensitive greed, seal the disastrous alliance between Kabaka Yekka party and Dr Milton Obote's Uganda People's Congress in 1962; thus betraying Ugandans, Baganda and their Kabaka into a chasm of autocracy and gun rule.

Today, similar leaders, impervious to lessons of history, apart from publicly playing the clown, by dressing in dross and are prostrating before an overworked, fatigued, and "unwilling" individual, silently demanding an open-ended presidency by proxy, via spurious mass hysteria: begging him to "accept" perpetual candidacy; are poised on betraying Uganda and Buganda into a fresh and ill-concealed autocracy.

In the extreme event that the law is twisted to solicit the views of "the people" on an illegitimate referendum, Buganda, via its numbers, can be a decisive factor in the sell-out or otherwise.

Maj. Kakooza Mutale, propelled by an affidavit sworn by the President, triumphed over the Inspector General of Government, who was, on technicalities, debarred from the testifying, may soon be back in his job as presidential adviser on political affairs.

Yes, the Mutale who declined ministerial appointment, well knowing the attitude of most legislators towards insensitive hatchet men.

Thus, Museveni has now a trusted team of "positive-minded" apologists to replace such obstructive dead wood as Eriya Kategaya, Bidandi Ssali, Miria Matembe ...

I liked Mr John Rujumba's analysis (The Monitor, May 5) but considered unfair his conclusion that the "turncoats" harboured presidential ambitions.

Bidandi and Kategaya had genuinely retired from active politics when Museveni fished them back from retirement.

In any case, the difference in age being narrow, the suggestion that all might aspire to the presidency becomes fragile.

I often speculate upon the reasons Museveni clings to power: such as the fear of a "Chiluba;" and control of Semliki-Albert oil.

Many others zero on the fears of potential "political orphans" urging him to stay glued, to protect them; because his absence would send them into exile, (where secret accounts may now be hounded), to avoid a sojourn at Luzira prison via the courts.

Museveni and company, or he alone, may have calculatingly grafted obnoxious Articles 69 to 74 and 269 to 271 onto the 1995 partisan Constitution: one of those made when dictators were breathing down the Assemblies' collars.

I maintain that, in any review, the 1962 Constitution should be made the working paper: the Prof. Ssempebwa Report being a major document of reference.

This, arguably because the 1962 Constitution was made with no undue influence.

In his silent, but ill-concealed insistence on a fifth term, Museveni, seemingly forgets "Baabukiika tibuba bwengye," meaning that see-through trickery is no smartness.

I wish to appeal to his sense of patriotism, to announce his stand, and seal the haemorrhage that is draining the country through his equivocation.

The Ankole leadership, incidentally, (New Vision May 7) is clearly confused about who is "shameless"

Contact: 077 401173

© 2004 The Monitor Publications