I read with consternation that Makerere University is not taking in 16,000 qualified
students due to lack of capacity (â16,000 to miss Makerere,â The New Vision, front
page, April 29). How sad! This illustrates how far away we are from having integrated
planning programmes for our country. It is an indictment of government, the
legislature and institutions such as Makerere University, which boasts of a planning
department.  After all those students did not materialize out of the blue. The
majority of them were born 18 years ago, just about the time that the NRM took the
helm of government. Slowly but surely, they went through the pains of survival to
their fifth birthday. [About 180 per 1000 of those had died by their fifth birthday.]
They entered primary schools and in 1997, 211,749 of them sat for their Primary
Leaving Examinations (PLE). Seventy per cent of them passed. However, only 42 per cent
or 87,231 went on to a secondary school the following year.

Surely, during those 18 years when they were growing up and advancing through the
education system, someone must have been aware of the thin air at the top of the
system. We chose to focus on the lower echelons of our education system, that is,
primary and secondary education, most of which do not offer vocational training at all.

To its credit, the Ministry of Education devised a strategic plan for secondary
education, which would increase enrolment in the first four years of secondary school
from 149,840 in 1999 to 262,000 students by 2003. More secondary schools were built,
most of which were private but licensed by the Ministry of Education. By some
estimates, there are at least 1200 secondary schools, half of which are
government-aided.

While secondary school enrolment surged, there were no similar plans for tertiary
education. There were no plans for expanding both public and private tertiary
institutions to absorb the surging number of students from secondary schools.  The
Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001 did little more than provide for
streamlining the establishment, administration and standardisation of universities and
other tertiary institutions. There was no master plan for building new tertiary
institutions and rehabilitating old ones, especially technical institutes, except for
the construction of Mbarara University of Science and Technology. The only expansion
that took place, albeit by the ingenuity and, one might argue, serendipity of one
faculty head, was the enrolment of private students at Makerere University.  Moreover,
the majority of private students were enrolled in courses that are not fundamental to
national development. By 1997, for example, only 15 per cent of all students in
tertiary institutions were enrolled in science, math and engineering.

Priority was given to academic education. Technical institutes were marginalized and
most of them are now decrepit. Technical education became highly underrated in favour
of academic education. Yet, every nation needs good technical education to enhance
economic development. We now not only have a situation where most college graduates
end up unemployed or in jobs for which they are overqualified, but we have thousands
who are qualified to enrol in public universities but they cannot.

The immediate challenge is to channel those students who just missed out on joining
public universities into meaningful pursuits that are relevant to our national goals.
The importance of having them join technical institutes cannot be overemphasized in an
era of globalisation, which require high technical skills. For the long haul, we need
to prepare for the more than 460,000 students who will seek admission in tertiary
institutions in the year 2015. We must set up more polytechnic institutes and colleges
to prepare our citizens to have a niche in the global economy. Our national strategy
should include the provision of at least one quality polytechnic institute in every
district in the country. In addition, all existing schools in the country should begin
to provide vocational training to the students.

We must define a national policy on career and technical education and its purpose.
The National Council for Higher Education should be asked to assume the responsibility
for developing a national policy on career and technical education, overseen by, on in
collaboration with, appropriate parliamentary committees.  The National Council for
Higher Education should be composed of principals from the relevant ministries,
preferably all the ministries.
N¬±êï‰Ç²,µçhžØ^"wèr‰§zÜ(®Hm¶ŸÿÃ"ú¢g(º