Unicef envoy in Gulu

SHOCKED: Bellamy (centre) visits the night commuters

The Executive Director of United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Carol Bellamy has said, “Uganda is home to one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today,” reports Fortunate Ahimbisibwe.

In a statement issued on Friday, the UNICEF chief expressed shock about the situation in northern Uganda and called on government and the international community to work out means of putting an end to the conflict.

“I have seen many disturbing images during my time with UNICEF. But few of them are as shocking as the sight of ‘night commuters’ in northern Uganda whom I saw just two nights ago,” she said.

As you know, these are the thousands of children and we know that there are at least 44,000 who for fear of abduction by the Lords Resistance Army, seek refuge every night in the towns of the north,” she added.

Published on: Sunday, 30th May, 2004