  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

New Vision (Kampala)

June 9, 2004
Posted to the web June 9, 2004

Felix Osike
Kampala

President Yoweri Museveni has told Western countries to stop lecturing Africa on how
to hold elections.

He said this after commissioning Apparels Tri-Star (U) Ltd's second factory in
Bugolobi on Monday.

Presidents Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and Mwai Kibaki of Kenya accompanied him.

"We must tell Europeans and Americans to give us what we do not have; that is access
to their markets. They should stop lecturing to us about small things like elections,"
Museveni said.

"We don't need aid for elections and women emancipation. What we need is what we don't
have," he added.

Museveni urged African countries to demand for access to markets, negotiate as a block
and stop exporting raw materials.

Museveni received samples of the Tri-star products from the managing director,
Villepillai Kananathan.

Relevant Links

East Africa
Uganda
Europe and Africa
United States, Canada and Africa
Trade

He said Tri-star had linked Uganda to the US market, imparted skills to more than
3,000 people and created jobs for over 2,000 girls.

Kananathan said the company contributed to the Government's poverty reduction strategy
and foreign exchange inflow.