Govt to pay for post primary students
By Richard Mutumba
June 11, 2004

PARLIAMENT — The government will pay school fees for students in public secondary schools whose parents live in IDP camps, the Vice-President, Prof. Gilbert Bukenya, announced yesterday.

Addressing Parliament after the presentation of the budget, Bukenya said in its effort to improve life in camps in the north and east, the government will embark on the promotion of agriculture in the camps especially cotton and upland rice.

"This will enable people in the camps to earn a good income," Bukenya who represented President Yoweri Museveni, said. Museveni is attending the G8 summit in the US.

He said the government would also provide lunch and porridge with milk to UPE pupils. He said the Ministry of Education would give details of the implementation of this policy. “"We hope this would go a long way in improving nutrition among our children as well as creating a local market for farmers," he added.

Bukenya said the way forward for peace was to eliminate Kony. "With the developments in the peace process in Sudan and the continued hot pursuit by the UPDF, which is partly a result of better equipment, Kony's chances of survival were getting narrower.

We have kept the door open for a peaceful resolution of the conflict although Kony had failed to respond to holding talks," he said. He said he was happy that there has been a steady increase in local revenue to finance the budget.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications