Pafo-RA merge,no clear leader
By Mwanguhya C. Mpagi & Richard Mutumba
July 24, 2004

KAMPALA- Reform Agenda and Pafo last evening resolved to merge but did not decide on
who should lead the new coalition. However, Reform Agenda delegates had earlier
resolved that Dr. Kizza Besigye should lead the new coalition.

Over 400 Reform Agenda promoters resolved at a closed meeting on Friday to register as
a political party and merge with some individuals in the leadership of the
Parliamentary Advocacy Forum (Pafo) mainly those who formed the popular âMalwa
Group.â

Pafo chairman, Augustine Ruzindana said in a joint statement that the new party, with
no name yet, would in the interim be known as the âCoalition of the Willingâ
(CoW). âAccordingly, we are in the final stages of forging a platform of unity of
members of the two political groups, and do call upon other Ugandans to join us in our
quest for justice and equity,â a joint statement by Ruzindana and Sam Njuba said.

Besigye, a losing candidate in the 2001 Presidential elections and his RA National
Steering Committee (NST) will have six months to finalise merger negotiations and
registration of a political party. It was also agreed that elections would be held in
accordance with the new constitution guiding the merged party.

Journalists were closed out of the meting after the opening statements in the morning
but reliable sources attending at the UMA Conference Hall in Nakawa told The Monitor
that the conference had by lunchtime unanimously approved three recommendations tabled
by the National Steering Committee (NSC) and one that originated from delegates.

âThe meeting has progressed well,â said one delegate. âWe have resolved to merge
with all those who agree with us on the issues and to transform Reform Agenda (RA)
into a political party and to have it registered. We also approved a proposal to
extend the life of our NSC by six months with a mandate to complete the merger
discussions and the registration of the party.â The NSCâs term of office was to
have expired this month, after two years in office.

A fourth motion was moved by Bushenyi district LC5 Speaker and RA district Chairman
Odo Tayebwa âto reaffirm the leadership of Rtd. Col. Dr Kizza Besigye (right) as the
leader of Reform today and tomorrow.â

The four decisions concluded the main business of the conference. By lunchtime, RA
Secretary General Geoffrey Ekanya was reported to be taking delegates through a
proposed new constitution. Delegates were advised that the merger discussions could
cause a few changes to the draft.

In a defiant message, RA deputy chairman Mr. Sam K. Njuba announced that Besigye would
âcertainly come back to Uganda in time to lead us (the opposition) through the
crucial period leading to 2006.â

In a message read for him by RA first Vice Chairman, Mr Reagan Okumu, Besigye asked
his supporters to ârise to the challenge of taking over power and fostering good
governance and development.â

Sources at the conference said the proposal to merge with leaders from Pafo generated
two viewpoints but no disagreements. âThe minority view was that the Pafo leaders
should just join Reform as individuals and not as a group, the way we came in, without
a merger. But the overwhelming view was to welcome them with open arms as a group. The
matter was not contentious.â

Another RA source said the Friday conference agreed not to fuse the chairmanship of
the party with presidential candidacy. A RA source said some of the Pafo MPs were
shaky about moving beyond a parliamentary caucus to a merged party âbut we will get
many of them plus the credible leaders outside parliament like Muntu.â

RA leaders present included MPs Godfrey Ekanya, Reagan Okumu, Wilfred Kajeke,
Christopher Kibanzanga and Nyeko Michael Ocula. Third Deputy Chairperson Winnie
Byanyima and Foreign Secretary Anne Mugisha, who are abroad, sent messages of support.
The Scandinavian Branch was represented by their Deputy Chairman, Mr Moses Kasule.

As to whether Pafo would accept Col. Besigye to lead the Reform/Pafo alliance, Pafo
chairman, Augustine Ruzindana said he had no problem with the arrangement provided the
process is transparent. A senior Pafo source said the merger might be ready before the
end of August.

The source said, âleadership discussions have not been entered into in detail but we
do not expect any problems. We will compromise with each other and agree a way
forward. Our key objective is to bring together people who see things the same way.
The Movement has derailed the democratic process. We are also working out new
positions on management of the economy, which will be publicized once ready.â

Besigye has repeatedly said he will not contest the 2006 presidential elections unless
the government agrees to carry out major democratic reforms. On August 17 2004, he
will have spent three years outside Uganda, making him legally ineligible to lead a
political party under the existing Political Parties and Organisations Act, which is
still being contested by leaders from UPC and Reform in the Constitutional Court.

RA Deputy Chairman Sam Njuba told The Monitor on Thursday âwe want Besigye as our
leader, irrespective of what the law says.â

The Monitor reported Thursday that other historical Movement leaders including Eriya
Kategaya, Matthew Rukikaire and David Pulkol were set to join the merger. Other
prominent names mentioned by sources include Suleiman Kiggundu and a former West Nile
MP, Ali Gabi.

The leaders of Pafo and the G7 were expected to attend the closing ceremony.
The G7 include traditional parties: DP, CP, UPC and new ones like Justice Forum, The
Free Movement, and the National Democratic Forum.

 2004 The Monitor Publications