>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/25/04 12:33AM >>>

an aside:

In Luganda anaimals are generally uncountable. Thus enkoko can mean 1
or many chickens, and so it is with cattle and many animals (empologoma,
embizzi, embuzi , etc)

However, as a friend told me, in Lugwere -- with which Luganda has
about 68% lexical similarity, onkoko is one chicken and enkoko is 2 or
more. Likewise, onte is one cow, and ente are 2 or more cows.

What about counting in other languages?

Compatriot Ssemakula, I thought you would take that observation to its
logical conclusion, which in line with the thesis of the summarised
report should suggest that there are differences in the way the Bagwere
and Baganda "think". Not that I expect any such inference to stand to
scrutiny.

On a more serious note,don't you think your example is out of context
to the extent that it suggests that one can never know whether a Muganda
is talking about one chicken or more than one? "My chicken is lost" is
certainly understandably different from "My chickens are lost" - Enkoko
yange........ vs Enkoko zange.........., not so?

After all, even English,ever confused as it is, has one sheep, 2
sheep.....;  but I thought the point of the report (as summarised) was
that when it comes to 1,2,3........, the group studied did not make a
fine distinction between fairly large numbers.

Interesting stuff!

Best regards,

Yoswa