Police deploy to block Muntu visit
By Rogers Mulindwa & Solomon Muyita

Nov 30, 2004

We were protecting opposition - Police

LUWEERO — Security operatives yesterday attempted to block Maj. Gen. Mugisha Muntu’s visit to Luweero. They deployed at a church where he was expected for a fundraising ceremony.

Over 30 armed police officers, constables and many plain-clothed ISO operatives surrounded Kito Anglican Church as early as 8:00am, two hours to the time Muntu was expected.

Muntu is a former UPDF Army Commander and a promoter of the opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC).
A police patrol car and another police pick-up truck commandeered by the acting Luweero DPC, ASP Christopher Barugahare, kept patrolling the place, scaring off some of the worshippers.

The church service that had been scheduled for 10:00am began an hour late with only five Christians. A crowd of concerned Christians stopped Muntu on the way warning him of the security presence but he ignored the threats and proceeded to the church.

The police tried to block his way for about five minutes but they later let him into the church after convincing them that he had been invited for a church service.
Some gun-wielding uniformed policemen and other plain-clothed operatives attended the church service with Muntu.

“Yes the police are here doing their duties. But it is good I have not been harassed. But I am still making my movements,” Muntu told The Monitor at the church.
The Regional Police Commander, Mr Grace Turyagumanawe, said the Police were in the area on its normal duties of ensuring peace among the people.

“Our presence was to safeguard the opposition people in consultations from any obstacles to avoid a repeat of what happened (to PAFO) in Jinja. We don’t want them inconvenienced without our knowledge,” he said.
He, however, denied that the policemen entered the church and that Muntu was blocked in anyway.

“No one was blocked at all and no police officer entered the church. This was a fundraising in a small church of about 100 people, the police couldn’t squeeze in with them,” he said.

In his address to Christians, Muntu predicted tough times ahead of the 2006 presidential elections, which he said was likely to be characterised by political intimidation and all sorts of threats.

He asked people of Luweero to stand firm because “nobody is above the law”. He made a personal contribution of 100 bags of cement to the church.

Muntu was in the company of former Mengo minister, Ms Kamala Kanamwangi, Wycliff Bakanonda from Rukungiri and Bagenda Kasirye from Rakai, all FDC promoters.

Luweero PAFO coordinator, Mr Isaac Nazuka, said his people would not be intimidated and would continue to listen and respond to people’s calls during fundraising and other functions.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications