Kisanja cash records stolen — paymaster
By Mwanguhya Charles Mpagi

Nov 7, 2004

MP Byenkya returns third term money

KAMPALA — Ms Anifa Kawoya says a register she kept of Movement MPs who picked up Shs5 million each to support a third term for President Museveni has been stolen.

"They stole my yellow book," said Kawoya, the Sembabule Woman MP, who paid out money at Mosa Courts Apartments nearly two weeks ago. "I had my yellow book with a long list of all my kisanja [pro-third term] people and they stole it at Parliament.

I don't know who stole it. I raised the matter at Parliament, but I could not recover it. I have bought another yellow book and I keep it with my list under my armpit."

She lashed out at MPs crying foul over the distribution of the kisanja money. She particularly attacked Mr Kibale Wambi (Budadiri County East, Sironko) who on Monday narrated in detail how ministers lined up to sign for their share at the apartments on Nile Avenue.

"All Wambi said is trash. Saying that I was swimming in a sack of money? How could he tell that the hand he saw coming from under the table was my hand?" she said.

Kawoya questioned the morality of Wambi and Mr Theodore Ssekikubo (Lwemiyaga) who accused the NRM of wasting taxpayer money to buy off MPs to support the third term.

She wondered why they chose to line up for the money and then turned around and claimed they were being bribed.

"It beats my understanding that somebody goes to a meeting where he has not been invited, picks a voucher and then he is told he is not on the list and then returns to say he could not accept a bribe. What is the logic?" she said.

Kawoya is among three major distributors of the kisanja mobilisation cash along with Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Hope Mwesigye, and Movement Parliamentary Caucus Chairman Charles Bakkabulindi.
"It is time for mobilisation. That money shows that I am doing my mobilisation. I am not a woman who courts the press. I am a woman of action," she boasted.

Meanwhile, Mr Bakkabulindi dismissed earlier reports that different amounts were paid to ministers and ordinary MPs.

"I was the one in charge and it is not true that ministers got a different figure. To make sure that the money was the same, we even printed the figure. The MPs could only write in the constituency and name," he said.

He also dismissed reports that the money was drawn from Bank of Uganda.
In another development, Hoima woman MP Beatrice Byenkya returned Shs 5 million kisanja money to the Movement Caucus officials who distributed it.

Twice Ms Byenkya declined to comment on the matter we reached her. "I am not talking," she said. I am not ready to divulge anything."

Sources said, however, that the MP returned the money last Wednesday because she could not have it and live with a clear conscience. She reportedly said that much as she supports the third term, she does not need to be bribed for it.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications