MP bribes: pray for dear country

News that our honourable Membes of Parliament feasted on Shs 5 million each, as a bribe to vote for Ekisanja or lifting of the constitutional ban on presidential term limits (The Monitor of October 28, 2004) did not come as a surprise.

It had, for long, been an open secret that the legislato rs would be compromised to support lifting of the ban.

It is however very frightening to us ordinary people to learn that decent and honourable men and women (if they are, anyway) have stooped this low.

Our President has got all the guns and soldiers. Why doesn’t he just abrogate his own Constitution and declare himself eligible for another Kisanja or even life president instead of wasting taxpayers’ money on bribes?

Why use illegitimate means like bribing MPs when there is a short and inexpensive method?
By giving bribes to Members of Parliament, our president is committing two wrongs; illegal tinkering with the constitution and bribery.

Only God knows the future of this country. For us the common men, let us just pray. And since the First Lady is a saved person, let me urge her and her family to pray alongside other Ugandans, otherwise our country will be doomed

M. Luyiga,
Kampala.

Dr Ssemo