UNIONISATION IN THE FISHING INDUSTRY IN UGANDA  All headers

To:     All Concerned,

From:     Secretary General (NOTU)

RE:     UNIONISATION IN THE FISHING INDUSTRY IN UGANDA

The trade union movement in Uganda has been facing a lot of difficulties in
unionising the Fishing Industry.  This Industry being run by mainly the
Asian Community are united under an association called the Uganda Fish
Processors and Exporters Association (UFPEA).

- When contacted, the individual factory management state that the union
should go via the association.

- When the association is contacted, they state that the individual factory
should be contacted on the issue.

- The Chairman of the Association, a Korean, also doubles as a diplomat but
is completely anti-union.  When we wanted to meet him in his factory, he
did not allow us to enter the factory and we were stopped at the gate.

- His was not the only Korean Industry giving us problems in Uganda.
Kimikoa Uganda Ltd. another Korean firm making bags have given us the same
problem for a longtime.  As a diplomat, we feel he may be the main cause of
the problem.

The companies involved are:-
1.     Byansi Fisheries Co. Ltd.-     Ugandan Owned
E-mail:-     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

2.       Begumisa Enterprises Ltd.-     Ugandan Owned
Email:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

3.     Gomba Fishing Industries -     Indian Owned
    Email:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
4.     Greenfields Ltd -     British Owned
    E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

5.     Hwan Sung Ltd -     Korean Owned
    E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

6. Marine and Agro export Processing - Indian Owned
E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

7. Ngege Ltd - Indian Owned
E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

8.     Masese Fish Packers Ltd:-     Indian Owned
    E-mail - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

9.     Tropical Fish Industries:- Ugandan Owned
    E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

10. Uganda Fish Packers Ltd.
E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

11. Uganda Marine Products:- Ugandan / Indian Owned
E-mail:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Many more of these companies are coming up in Uganda but none of the old is
yet unionised.  They are mainly sponsored by the European Union who we
request to assist to address the issue of unionisation.

Our union, the Uganda Fisheries and Allied Workers Union has been locked
out on many occasions when attempting to recruit or seek recognition at
these factories.

Any assistance from you on this issue will be highly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

L. O. Ongaba
SECRETARY

Bwanika