(If you have any comments direct them directly to the Congresswoman at her personal address, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  It is noteworthy particularly because of her clear indictment of official circles in Dr. King's assassination.  As you know this sister has always been focused on such matters, as for example her hearings on Cointelpro...)

Subj: McKinney: King Holiday Message Delivered for CBC
Date: 01/16/2005 5:16:14 AM Central Standard Time
From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (HQ)
To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CAM)

This is Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney and I'm pleased to bring this
message on behalf of the Congressional Black Caucus.

We are about to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
We celebrate his life; we remember his murder; we emulate his values.

In life, Dr. King was bigger than life.  He brought people from
disparate backgrounds together--for one common goal and objective:  to
make America a better place for black Americans and all Americans.

A comfortable white housewife from Michigan was pulled to turbulent
Alabama to help Dr. King and others make a difference.  She, Viola
Liuzo, ended up being shot and killed, shamefully in the presence of a
paid white FBI informant, who was with racists upset that she was in
the same vehicle with blacks helping them to register to vote.

A sitting Member of Congress, Bob Filner of San Diego, was arrested in
Mississippi because he, too, was drawn by force of conscience to
America's South where black people proudly stood up for themselves--and
for our country.

We celebrate that Dr. King could bring millions of people from every
corner of our country together, all with the same refrain . . .
freedom.

We remember that a jury in Memphis, Tennessee found the US government
guilty of being part of a conspiracy to take this prince of peace from
us; and we emulate his willingness to believe in something so clearly
that he was willing to die for it:  his vision of what a good country
America could be for all who live here and for those abroad affected by
what we do here at home.

At the time of his murder, Dr. King was working on the Poor People's
Campaign and was about to issue an IOU to America in the form of an
"economic bill of rights."  But sadly, today some of the black-white
disparities that propelled a movement that frightened powerful circles
in this country, are worse now than at the time of Dr. King's murder.

According to United for a Fair Economy, racial inequities in
unemployment, family income, imprisonment, average wealth, and infant
mortality are actually worse than when Dr. King was killed.

I am proud to rejoin a Congressional Black Caucus that will address
these inequities and make the quality of life better for black
Americans.

As we celebrate, remember, and emulate the life and values of Dr. King,
let us not lose sight of the unfinished dream of Dr. King:  our
economic imperative, combined with our political might to erase these
inequities and make America live up to her best, yet still unfulfilled
dream.

Thank you.

I'm Cynthia McKinney bringing you this message for the Congressional
Black Caucus.